Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: VHansell
New Today: 39
New Yesterday: 58
Overall: 146019

People Online:
Visitors: 62
Members: 0
Total: 62

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Change priority
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Change priority

View previous topic :: View next topic  
asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Change priority Reply with quote

Hi, I would like to ask some question. Hope they don't sound stupid Embarassed

I'm currently defining change priority. I have set the priority to emergency, high, medium and low. Can anyone tell me if there's any standard on determining what goes where?
How can I define each priority?

I have a list of historical log from our help desk. What is the proper way to classify related change request log?
I mean do I have to set a predefined classifications for the priority and category, then group the log into each respective priority/category?
Or I do it the other way around?

Thanks in advance

Asril
Timo
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aah, the beauty of ITIL... never a how to guideline Rolling Eyes

Our approach to defining priority was to base it on impact to business. Not only the underlying infrastructure, but in terms of business services impact based on costs, reputation and legal factors (if applicable).

Certain amount of component failure impact and business impact analysis was required to set benchmarks. You HAVE to include business (not only IT) folks because ultimately it is the business services provided to paying customers that are impacted. (guessing here, but this is usually the case).

As far a a set of predefined classifications, you may have some in your ticketing tool, depending on what you use (HP Service Desk, Remedy, etc). But these classifications are only as meaningful as the basis for defining them and their use to report and improve on change process.

I hope this gives you an idea how to approach priritization.

Thanks,

Michael
asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Michael. I appreciate it. Very Happy
kwinston

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am working on defining change priorities.

Question...Is it common to match change priorities to Incident priorities? My original thought was to use Standard change, Major change, and Emergency Change...but this doesn't match the 6 different priorities used for incident/requests.

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: