Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: MittieVos
New Today: 30
New Yesterday: 66
Overall: 131788

People Online:
Visitors: 58
Members: 2
Total: 60 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Asset Management versus Configuration Management
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Asset Management versus Configuration Management

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcardinal
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject: Asset Management versus Configuration Management Reply with quote

I have just switched to supporting Asset Management in our organization. Looking for opinions or real-world experiences for the following:

Are Asset Management and Configuration Management the same? How do they overlap? How do they differ?

I have my own beliefs and have the ITIL opinion (I am Manager's/Master's Certified). Just wanted to gather some data to take to my manager and our Config Manager to help get them on the same page. I need more than just my own opinions.

Thanks all in advance!

Michael
itil_asia
Itiler

Location: South East Asia (Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Asset/Config Reply with quote

We will assume that by Asset we are referring to IT assets (same scope).

Asset management would be more focus on managing the life cycle process, while Config more on the tracking and recording of the state of the Asset (CI).

But when someone mention Asset, that would included non-it assets (table, chair, other equipments, ...), which config would not cover.

So, can we define Config as a sub-process of Asset Mgt ?
Tania

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Asset versus configuration management Reply with quote

Hi all,

From my experience;

Asset management is focused on managing a financial and physically tangible item (may include IT and non-IT items) during its lifetime in the organisation and its archive information for financial reporting purposes.
Configuration management encompasses asset management of physical items but also logical or virtual items and their relationship to one another.

For example: Asset management would be focused on a single item (lets say a Personal Computer), its financials, vendor & warranty information, location, status over its lifetime. Configuration Management would encompass all of the asset managment information and those items related to the Personal computer - where it is connected into the network, what periperals are connected to it, what software or objects are installed on it, what customer uses it, any operating documentation, etc.

Therefore, asset management would be a sub component of Configuration management.

Hope this assists you.

Regards,
Tania
Harvey
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone implemented SLM products to help with Asset and Configuration management?

Honestly, I could not imagie keeping track of the configuration of IT assetts without one...

I was curious what steps, and advanced preparation is recommended before attempting to introduce an Asset Management tool. Thinking of tools along the lines of CA or Remedy products.
Tania

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Implementing Configuration Management Reply with quote

Hi Harvey,

There is a significant amount of planning required before attempting to implement a Configuration management tool. Some of the main activities include:
1. Determining the scope of the CMDB - what to include, exclude from the database, and at what point the item would be managed by the CMDB
2. Designing a data model which outlines the attributes of each item you wish to include and any relationships between items that need to be available
3. Develop your high level service catalogue to map the importance of configuration items to the services they support
4. Plan a staged approach to collecting and migrating data into the tool, based on its priority and the needs of other processes such as Change and Incident Management
5. Assign an owner and configuration management team who will be responsible for ongoing audit and management of the data
6. Develop a management process which tracks new, changed or decomissioned items and define the roles and responsibilities of each group involved in the process
7. Implement and customise your tool
8. Follow your staged migration of data into the new tool

Use the ITIL Service Support book as a guide to the level of detail you will need to adopt for each.

Best wishes
Tania
mcardinal
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the coversation above, another question comes to mind:

What or How does the "lifecycle" of asset begin?

My own belief (based on my interpretation and understanding of ITIL) is that an asset comes to life as a result of providing a product or service. If an asset (or CI for that matter) cannot be tied back directly to the production of a product or service, why do you have it? I know the argument is that a company needs some assets and processes to conduct the management and governance of production. However, I see this as being the "overhead" of producing a product or service, and thus it factors into the overall TCO for a product or service.

Maybe I just think about this stuff too much... Confused

Michael
fair_n_hite_451

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:28 am    Post subject: It should be simple Reply with quote

The lifecycle of an asset begins with the business case that supports its purchase.

However, real world being what it is, most of us get to start in the middle where there are merely a bunch of assets already around, and THEN the asset management cycle starts...
Tania

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Asset VS Configuration Management Reply with quote

Hi there,

The lifecycle begins at the moment you start tracking the purchased product.

If you have an integrated purchasing and tracking system, you might start tracking the asset upon order/purchase, thru delivery, in stock, implementation, repair, decomission, disposal.

If you only start tracking an asset once it is delivered by a supplier (and asset tagged) then the lifecycle is shorter.

The lifecycle of an asset usually begins at the point when it is uniquely tagged and ends when the tag is removed and the item disposed of. Asset management should be carried out during this timeframe of the item.

Hope this assists.

Best wishes,
Tania
Azard
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:28 am    Post subject: Asset Mgmt vs Config Mgmt Reply with quote

Hi, I agree with many of the points raised by Tania.

One way I look at Configuration Management (Config Mgmt) is it is Asset Management on steroids. Smile

Let me qualify by referring to IT assets. I am sure many organizations lease their IT assets. So the start of the asset lifecycle occurs before the actual purchase. There are lease and support contracts that need to be negotiated, etc. This information should also be related to the asset and are normally prepared and signed before the assets arrive on site.

Config Mgmt provides the relationships not only to other IT assets, but also to people and services.

The fun is defining these relationships.

Cheers,
legnum

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are CMDB and AMDB two different repositories ?

is it possible to do Asset Mngt using CMDB only ?

thanks
Azard
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, this is the famous, "it depends".

You need to identify how you are using assets, and what you wish to track in them. You also need to do the same for CI's you wish to track in your CMDB. Some asset information may overlap with your CI info. You would need to find where the overlap is and then decide what you wish to do with the information that doesn't overlap.

I have not seen any tools that have a combimed IM, PM, CM, Config M, and all the accounting general ledgers under one product. If someone knows of one, I would be interested in hearing about it.

You have a great deal of work ahead. Good Luck.

cheers
blamblam
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree with Tania definitions of Asset Management and Configuration Management, I have to differ on Asset being a sub-component of Config. While I understand that financial information such as licensing, depreciation, warranties, etc may be attributes of a physical CI, the processes within each process (Asset and Config) are such that I see them as two distinct processes just sharing some information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: