Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: JStanford
New Today: 16
New Yesterday: 60
Overall: 139566

People Online:
Visitors: 83
Members: 3
Total: 86 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Problem to Known Error - Criteria
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem to Known Error - Criteria

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Griffy99

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Problem to Known Error - Criteria Reply with quote

As this is my first post on here i thought i'd start with a contentious issue in our organisation. Look at the statement bellow and tell me if you agree;

"A Problem record cannot be progressed into a known error untill all associated incidents are resolved"

This appears to be supported by the blue book which states;

"A known error status is assigned when the root cause of a problem is found and a workaround has been identified"
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree in what way ?

The problem and incident follow a different path

The incident path centers on restoring service.

The problem path centers on finding out what is causing the problem.

If there is a known error, then the known error should either a) have a work around or b) a permanent solution; therefore the incident should be resolved rather quickly.

Problems dont lead to known errors all the time or to a work around or a permanent solution.

The premise in your company statement assumes that initiating a problem means that a known error will be found.

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
jfcyr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Problem to Known Error - Criteria Reply with quote

Griffy99 wrote:
As this is my first post on here i thought i'd start with a contentious issue in our organisation. Look at the statement bellow and tell me if you agree;

"A Problem record cannot be progressed into a known error untill all associated incidents are resolved"

"A known error status is assigned when the root cause of a problem is found and a workaround has been identified"

An incident follows a different life-cycle than a problem. In essence, it is right to say that the first focus needs to be to restore the service (thus resolve the incident). However, we don't prevent our problem management team to open a Known error even though some incidents may still be opened. The key question is: has the root cause been found.

Usually, considering problem management follows a much different timeline than an incident (i.e. problem takes more time to investigate), we are able to resolve the incident before root cause is identified.

Because of the important volumes we manage, we have cleanly seperated the incident resolution from the problem investigation both in terms of process and individuals, providing touch point at incident review. This makes sense for our business needs but may not apply in your organization.
CGI Group
(Note from Admin: No Advertising Link Please)
dboylan
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Problem to Known Error - Criteria Reply with quote

Griffy99 wrote:

I would have to disagree with the statement proposed by your organization. Consider the following situation:

Your organization has users that are reporting a lot of Incidnets when using an intranet web app. The issue is turned over to Problem Management who finds that the CI at fault is MS Internet Explorer, the Root Cause is the way MS has determined to support a web standard (javascript), and a workaround would be to install Mozilla on the affected workstations.

You have successfully defined the Problem to the state of a Known Error. The question of whether to execute the workaround on all the affected workstations is up to the Incident Management process. It may be that an emergency Change could be executed on the intranet web app to resolve the Problem in less than 24 hours. In that situation, executing the workaround to the list of currently affected workstations would be more effort than it is worth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Problem Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: