Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: AviaJok
New Today: 33
New Yesterday: 106
Overall: 149910

People Online:
Visitors: 41
Members: 1
Total: 42 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - ITIL/Problem Manangement process newbie
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ITIL/Problem Manangement process newbie

View previous topic :: View next topic  
telesf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: ITIL/Problem Manangement process newbie Reply with quote

Hi!
I recently started working for a company thats starting to implement some of the ITIL processes. Part of my role includes problem management. I recently took the ITIL V3 foundations test (still waiting on the results) and plan to attend the Support and Restore Practitioner level training course next month. In the meantime my boss asked me to think about the problem management process that we plan to implement.

We recenlty moved our Incident Management system to Remedy in an effort to get better align with ITIL. Also, we are in the process of evaluating tools that will contain our CMDB. The only thing close to problem management that was done in the past was RCAs on priority 1 outages. Before this role, I worked with implementing a change management process, so I consider myself prepared to write-up and design a new process for problem management.

So, Where do I start in defining this new Problem Management process? I'll take all the help I can get.

Here are a few of my thoughts
- Criteria for Incident(s) -> Problem
- Monitoring (how? what tools?)
- Communication (between Problem Management lead and Tech teams)
- Resolution (KE DB)
- ?
- ?
- ?

Thanks,
Tele F.
pineapple

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject: What is a problem? Reply with quote

The easiest start to problem management is the major incident process where the problem manager is doing quality assessment.

Problems cause incidents and the primary goal of problem management is to reduce the number of incidents. So a problem is something that if analysed will reduce incidents.

The service desk logs incidents, work requests and changes very well, but few problems are logged. You find the problems by sitting down with the IT teams and listing what they are currently working on. On this list you will be able to reference the incidents, work requests and changes. The rest of the stuff without references are the problems.

Another source of problems is to ask the IT customers what issues they have with service delivery of IT. The response will be, in the order of, e.g. my mail is slow. That equals a problem.
insider

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didnt describe a process there; you described a list of things you need to define about problem management.

I'll give you our process ( based on ITIL) that I designed and implmented:

Identify problem - Classify and assign problem - Problem investigation and diagnosis - Solution Identification - Solution implementation - Close Problem

This should be the 1st step, but also should be revisuited based on what works in practice in your company.....

Hope this helps.
jpgilles
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite disagree with this process, at least as it is presented here.

The first target of problem management is to find a workaround that is able to restore the service. Then you work on finding a final solution.

That solution will need to go through change management to be implemented which means some delay, whereas the workaround can be executed every time the incident occurs. So as you may for the final solution to be implemented , you minimize the impact of re-occuring incidents.

br
JP
telesf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all your replies.

Yes, I agree with jpgiles.

The first goal would be to find a workaround, so that as soon as an incident is report, a workaround can be applied to restore service to the customer. The fix, usually identified after a RCA, has to be analyzed for cost vs. benefit. Many times management will decide that a workaround is sufficient due to the $$ involved.

Here are some of the tasks that I am currently working on
- Define, standardized and socialize a RCA document
- Define Criteria for Incident->Problem
- Priority (criticality)
- Impact
- Reoccurance
- Set up tool (DB) for known-errors. (we already have a IMgmt & PMgmt tool)
- Develop and Implement a RCA procedure

Any feedback?
joeblough

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are on the right track. Make sure you define what constitutes a "Problem". If not carefully defined and understood, this can result in every incident creatging a "Problem" ticket.
add

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess finding the immediate workaround solution so that the service can be restored to normal ASAP is a part of Incident management.......
It is out of scope topic for Problem Management Process.
add

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to me :

During the regular support work, the repeating incidents that occur are taken to be candidates for a problem. Problem can also be identified based on the initial query or request from the customer received thru’ mails. Monthly analysis of the production log, done by the team leads could result in the identification of a problem.

so i guess the scope of problem management shoul be restricted to following steps :

1.Problem Classification

2.Problem Investigation and Resolution

3.Problem Closure & Review

4.Problem Tracking(which include maintaining a central repository to store the prob id # with the corresponding RCA report, so that in feauture it could be used to reduce redundant work).
acruz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Process to Problem Reply with quote

Dear Friends

The one that we have have in mind it is the concept on it problem management that is always related to an incident or to a change.
Use as best practices a crisis team's creation to solve the more critics and a team high level for the others.
DavidB

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

add wrote:
i guess finding the immediate workaround solution so that the service can be restored to normal ASAP is a part of Incident management.......
It is out of scope topic for Problem Management Process.

Add,

As I understand it, Incident Management is responsible for implementing a fix to a known error. But in the situation where there is no workaround or fix to restore the incident, it is Problem Management's responsibility to develop a workaround or a solution for Incident Management to implement.
jpgilles
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

an incident is an incident.
A problem is a problem....
A known error is a problem whose cause is identified and for which a workaround is identified.
Problem Control is the first phase of PB management and focuses on finding a workaround.
Error control is the second phase of pb management and looks for a final solution.

Once a workaround is identified, that fix can be applied by incident management to restore the service. However identifying the workaroud belongs to Problem management...

br
JP
dboylan
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpgilles wrote:
an incident is an incident.
A problem is a problem....
A known error is a problem whose cause is identified and for which a workaround is identified.
Problem Control is the first phase of PB management and focuses on finding a workaround.
Error control is the second phase of pb management and looks for a final solution.

Once a workaround is identified, that fix can be applied by incident management to restore the service. However identifying the workaroud belongs to Problem management...

br
JP

I would have to slightly disagree with your statement that "identifying the workaround belongs to Problem management..."

I would say that the correct statement would be that "Problem management validates identified workarounds". Incident management may identify potential workarounds in the course of restoring service, but they can not be entered as true workarounds until Problem management has validated them.
jpgilles
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

point taken: I agree with you
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Problem Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: