Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: EvelynT68
New Today: 30
New Yesterday: 97
Overall: 149977

People Online:
Visitors: 48
Members: 1
Total: 49 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Standard Change Process
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Standard Change Process
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
swansong
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your change statuses need to mimic the physical flow of work. If there is a break to the flow, where for example responsibility is handed to a different person or team, then the workflow needs to represent this. The reason being when the flow is broken, this inevitably the point whyere bottlenecks or issues occur, so capture the fact change of ownership, and with a reasonable tool, you should be able to report all changes at any particualr state, or even better the duration that a change may spend in any state, and thus you can make decisions on how to improve the process.
I agree with the post above - Adding statuses where they do not mimic a break in the flow of work is just an admin overhead, and doesn't add value to the process.
Fabien
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed wrote:
Therefore, I don't care if Purchasing go out and buy 1,000 machines. When they are out of their boxes and ready to be configured - then I want to know - by Standard Change Release notification.

The whole point is that if your company can buy laptops a 1,000 at a time, you'd better have a repeatable process to introduce them or you're gonna have a bl^^dy day indeed Very Happy ... that's a change model. You don't pre-approve anything, but you have controled risk and process in advance.

And my guess is that you actually are interested that purchasing is buying 1,000 laptops because they're coming your way... right?

Accenture
Technology Consulting | Service Excellence
Red Badge Certified

Twitter @itilgeek
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabien wrote:

The whole point is that if your company can buy laptops a 1,000 at a time, you'd better have a repeatable process to introduce them or you're gonna have a bl^^dy day indeed Very Happy ... that's a change model. You don't pre-approve anything, but you have controled risk and process in advance.

And my guess is that you actually are interested that purchasing is buying 1,000 laptops because they're coming your way... right?

Fabien

I agree a repeatable process for putting the laptops into the live environment is required, this is where my Standard Change takes effect, but if they are just stored in the in the DHS, I don't care.

The point I was failing to make, was that until any laptop or any other bit of hardware needs to be connected to my Live environment, it has absolutely no impact on the Live environment, and therefore does not come under Change Management.

The control of risk is dealt with at the configuration/connection stage, not when someone signs a purchase order.

So the answer to your final question is that ITIL favourite - It depends

Regards

Ed
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

laptops would not be put into the Live enviroment under change management on an individual basis.

However they may be recorded in the CMDB before they are assigned to someone and could be classified as stock. The question here is are you using the CMDB for asset tracking / asset management as well?

Some CMDB packages let you do CI and Asset management together. toehrs are not very good at mixing the 2. For the laptop example it woul dbe important to have them registered in an asset managament database for when they are ordered/delivered/assigned/returned etc.

This information can also be fed into the CMDB from the point where they are assigned to users. The reason the laptop details need to be in the CMDB is that they are a CI that a user can and will call the ServiceDesk about (reporting faults etc).

There is differences between asset management and CMDB management but in the real world there are also overlaps which can be exploited. Also I accept that the CMDB is generally not just one DB but can be a number of DB's.
jmc724

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, change categories varies from organizations to organizations. The overall picture would be how the process owner wrote the different types of change categories and which policies are enforeced.

Im my current environment, 'Pre-Approved' changes are subject to policies governing all changes whether they are emergency or not. They dont get review by the CAB but requires approval by CTO, CM, requester Mgr, implementer Mgr, and/or application owner.

Emergency changes are changes that need to be implemented into Production on a schedule weekend install via two criteria: missed the lead time submission dead line or immediate fix to something that has been broken in production and cannot wait until a regular install week or will be done during month end freeze.

'Standard' or regular changes that can include project releases, BAU, and properly planned changes. This means changes that are on the release calendar and are expected to go into prod on a certain date, changes that can wait at least for one week prior to install, and business as usual changes such as pricing or web enhancements.
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I would hold very similar views to jmc724 and his definitions.
dboylan
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmc724 wrote:
Im my current environment, 'Pre-Approved' changes are subject to policies governing all changes whether they are emergency or not. They dont get review by the CAB but requires approval by CTO, CM, requester Mgr, implementer Mgr, and/or application owner.

ITIL would define that level of authorization a Minor Change.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: