Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: MichaelMar
New Today: 15
New Yesterday: 54
Overall: 139827

People Online:
Visitors: 73
Members: 2
Total: 75 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Can we have a Known-Error without having a Workaround?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can we have a Known-Error without having a Workaround?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mamor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:24 am    Post subject: Can we have a Known-Error without having a Workaround? Reply with quote

Hi there;

I have a problem.
I found the Root-Cause but no Workaround yet and no permanent solution.

Can I still consider it a Known-Error?

Thanks
dboylan
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Can we have a Known-Error without having a Workaround? Reply with quote

mamor wrote:
Hi there;

I have a problem.

Thanks

For an ITIL purist, the three elements that are required to be identified for a Problem to be changed to a Known Error are:

Root Cause
CI at Fault
Workaround

When I was training the Support and Restore Practitioner course, we would get into lengthy discussions about why all three of these elements are required for the Problem to be turned into a Known Error. The requirement for Root Cause and CI at fault is pretty easy to defend, but the case that a Workaround must be identified is not as easily made.

In my mind there is always the ultimate Workaround for just about any IT issue. It's called paper.

In most cases where the technology at fault can not be bypassed, there should be a manual way of achieving the business process without reliance on technology. There are some obvious areas where the business stops being able to perform up to a required level without technology, but the business needs to understand the risk to which they are exposing them self in those situations.

All this being said, ITIL is a framework, not a set of rules to live and die by. If you would like to submit a RFC even though it is still a Problem, the world will not end. If you would like to say that this is a Know Error with the Workaround of "It's broke, don't use use it" the ITIL police won't come knocking at your door.

Don
TimB

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Can we have a Known-Error without having a Workaround? Reply with quote

mamor wrote:
Hi there;

I have a problem.

Thanks

How are you handling this issue now? Are the users just not using the function? Are the service desk doing something to fix it? Is the user clicking through the error and carrying on? Presumably you've been doing something to carry on until until you figured out the root cause. Whatever that something is, that's your workaround, even if it's just "Don't touch it, it's broken"
Titan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Known Error without a workaorund? Reply with quote

I have the same issue. I have those that think that while you are working on a workaround, you should have the problem listed in the KEDB.
The only problem with that is that yes, it does provide visibility, but it doesn't help anyone.
From the Incident Process, you should have the ability to search the KEDB as well as any Open/Active Problems where workarounds are being researched.

Now, the interesting thing is, do you really need a root cause to be a known error? What if the problem is with something in containment that you will never invest $$$ in fixing? Is there ROI in doing Root Cause Analysis when you are going to decommission the device or move off the platform in 6 months to a year?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Problem Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: