Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: JJenks
New Today: 16
New Yesterday: 87
Overall: 139916

People Online:
Visitors: 59
Members: 1
Total: 60 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Service Desk - Ticket Backlog measurement
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Service Desk - Ticket Backlog measurement

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcageot90

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: Service Desk - Ticket Backlog measurement Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I'm asked to reevaluate our performances objectives and to try to find a way to "motivate" every support staff in our service desk organization and more generaly what are some of the typical KPIs for incident management within ITIL.

I thought to put in place a specific Backlog measurement.
I tried to search the web for some example of target settings but i could'nt find what i'm looking for.
This post here on the forum is talking about kpis
http://www.itilcommunity.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1028&highlight=kpi
but doesn't completely answer to my question

My question is : Do you have any example of backlog target and how did you implement them ?

Thansk a lot and happy new year

PS : my 1st thought was that i could 1st calculate an average of ticket per day assigned to a support group.
then calculate the average of ticket per pritority/impact which will allow me to calculate an average time per ticket that a support group is supposed to spend on a each incident (base on MTTR target per priority)

Then I could calculate what should be the backlog for each group depending on the %age of ticket per priority multiplied by the target MTTR for each priority
This would give me the Maximun backlog that each group should not exceed
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the priority and urgency field if used to determine the number of tickets

also, investigate a sample of why the tickets are outstanding.. are they waitign for external response, internal, dependant action, specific date triggers etc

There is not a magic number for the # of tickets outstanding.

I used the age of the ticket, the priority (p1, p2, p3 where P1 was major outage...) and what group was holding them

The tickets while owned by the Service desk were assigned to specific groups such as Unix, wintel, networks etc

I would look to see what the average age of the ticket was per group and what was the average age of a ticket when it was closed

certain groups have faster turn arounds

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
rcageot90

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks for the reply

I know there is no magic formulas for backlog but i would like to have some other user's experience feedback to see if what i'm trying to implement is accurate or not!

let take an example
one of my 2nd level support group treated an average of 200 tickets per day during the last 6 months dispatched as follow:
1% of P1 ticket with a MTTR of 4hours
2% of P2 ticket with a MTTR of 8hours
87% of P3 ticket with a MTTR of 24hours
10% of P4 ticket with a MTTR of 48hours
we could say that their maximum backlog could be
(1%*4) + (2%*Cool + (87%*24)+(10%*4Cool => average of 25.88 hours spent per ticket (1.07 day)
so the maximum backlog for this group should be max of 215 tickets (25.88/24 * 200)

Then i though to put target related to this maximum (10% less, 15%, 20% etc...)
Is it a good starting point to challenge my support groups ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: