Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: verdie8842
New Today: 18
New Yesterday: 53
Overall: 145939

People Online:
Visitors: 63
Members: 4
Total: 67 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Config/Change integration
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Config/Change integration

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mnp123
Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Config/Change integration Reply with quote

Is relationship defined in CMDB should be under the Change control or not? e.g I have a switch (CI #1) and 50 servers are connected to it (CI #2 ... 51). Let's say if I am moving CI #3 to new switch in my opinion relationship is changing and not the CI. Should it be under Change Control?
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

change management is about control. If you don't "control" your CI relationships so that they are up to date - they why bother as you will only ever have out of date and inaccurate Ci relationships.

In your case the physical CI is not changing but what it is conencted to is and in my mind this should be under change control and within your change process you should have a mechanisim to ensure that the CI relationships are updated.

Due to complexity and overhead I try not to manage CI relationships below switches i.e. dont manage PC to Switch relationships. Manage the relationship of the network kit via change management.
mnp123
Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, Thanks for the clarification. I was also thinking along the same line but when we start thinking about the software layer there is added complexity to maintain relationship. Are companies maintaining relationship through Change process for software layer or use Auto Discovery tool?
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is, in my mind, no way that a change to the connections of kit should not be covered by Change Management.

To clarify - if you Change where or how one piece if kit is connected to another, then a Change has taken place - An RFC and Release is required!

For example, if I had a switch in Coventry connected to a server based in Coventry and then moved the Server to Dublin, Change Management documentation will be required even though the Server is connected to the same switch

Regards

Ed
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - at the network layer you defintly need to have those under CM and also the relationships should be updated as part fo that CM process.
Azard
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I would just like to add that anything that is within your CMDB, IS under the control of Change Management. The CMDB has many uses, and relationships are a big part of it. Being able to go back to the Business and say, if we change A, the impact will be…. certainly lends credibility to the IT organization.

This type of information makes for better decisions and will aid in the future planning. If you are questioning if an item should be under Change Control, I would stop and ask myself a few questions:

- is there a business need to track this
- how will I keep the information up to date
- how does this potential CI affect or impact my business.

cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Configuration Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: