Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: BMcGaw
New Today: 36
New Yesterday: 54
Overall: 146249

People Online:
Visitors: 46
Members: 1
Total: 47 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Implementation of ITIL compliant SD ticketing tool
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Implementation of ITIL compliant SD ticketing tool

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Praveena

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Implementation of ITIL compliant SD ticketing tool Reply with quote

Hello Guys,

We are a group of administrators for various helpdesk ticketing tools (HP SD, Remedy etc).

I am looking at creating a generic checklist/procedure so the tools (after configuration) are ITIL compliant.

Currently, our clients provided the requirement and we blindly implement (if the tool supports). So most of are implementation are solely dependent on the customers understanding of ITIL. Crying or Very sad

We are looking forward to change this, we should be able to goback to our clients with a Basic framework to scope their requirement.

Say for instance, we have a new customer and the requirement only says the ticketing tool has to ITIL compliant…..

How do we capture the requirement? Shocked
How do I proceed with the implementation? Confused

I need your assistance…
m_croon
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Praveena,

One of your competitors is already marketing this concept of 'ITIL compliance'. Ask yourself what the use of such a phrase realy is: it might be so that a tool supports a minimum set of requierements that can be linked to ITIL-processes, yet this does not imply at all that a particular customers needs are filled in by that same tool. WIthin ITIL, there is too much open space for multi-interpretation of a thing such as a tool for it to be able to use the phrase ITIL-compliance.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tool should be be able to be modified to fit the company's policies, procedures and processes.

If the company's processes are ITIL Best practice then the tool will be ITIL oriented.

As I have said Tools can not be ITIL compliant They can be ITIL oriented

I think the marketing of tools as ITIL compliant is a bad thing

Lastly, Preveena

With my help, and if you sell this 'product' what's my share.

Advice is free but ... snicker

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
m_croon
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKVIKING wrote:
Lastly, Preveena

With my help, and if you sell this 'product' what's my share.

Advice is free but ... snicker

John,

I was first Twisted Evil
Praveena

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ukviking and John,

Thank you for your responce.
This is no new product.... I am trying to optimize our setup (HP ServiceDesk 4.5).....
Currently we 4 different configurations in place (one for each client).

I am looking at creating somthing common (at least the framework) Idea

Yes, the tool is ITIL oriented (not using the word compliant)......

What is it that I have to keep in mind while implementing ITIL (Initial phase)????
Where do I start my ITIL implementation from (I want to implement all the modules) Question
m_croon
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so you want to migrate excisting implementations to one, in order to become more cost efficient?

I would not start with the tool. Start with a stakeholder analysis and make sure that your customers will not hinder your migration. Do they receive reports that require a certain configuration of the tool? Do some of their employees have autorization to look (or work?) directly in a present configuration? Is it necessary to talk to them about the migration and explain why/when/how you will plan migrating activities (although you could define this as an internal project with which they should not interfere).

Next, make your new data/functional model for the tool. I cannot estimate wihtout looking at your tooling if it is wise to start entirely new, or to take the best of all 4 old implementations (this also depends on the stakeholder analysis). Map the first (of the 4 old) implementation on the new one (do not migrate them at the same time).

Make a holistic plan to migrate: people, proces, product (tool), partner, performance should all be adressed. Have a look at the 8 necesary steps for succesfull change by John P Kotter (Harvard). You can find him through google.

Hope this helps,

Michiel Croon
Getronics PinkRoccade
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

As above the tol cannot be ITIl compliant. However it can support ITIl best practice concepts and the better one do.

If you are looking to make the tool more alligned to ITIL best practice you can do this in a generic way. When you go to implement the tool you will still need to tailor whatever package you have to take into consideration 1) the customers processes which may be ITIL best practice or 2) the custoemrs processes which may not be ITIL best practice.

Can I tell you where to start - yes - Look at the ISO 20000 standard and that will give you the starting point. In tandem break down the Service Support and Service Delivery books.

Now the rest is up to you. As you can see it will take a little time to work it all out. Can it be done - Yes
Praveena

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Michiel,

The book by John P Kotter hav given us a starting point.

Not really integration, we are only looking at learning from are mistakes and follow a better implementation process the next time (efficiency in terms of understanding the requirement and do a one time implementation so that we dont have to make changes day in and day out).

Thanks Mark,

That was what i was looking at. I shall check the ISO 20000 standard and get back
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: