Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: D61Y
New Today: 41
New Yesterday: 79
Overall: 144676

People Online:
Visitors: 54
Members: 2
Total: 56 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Incorrect paths specified
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Incorrect paths specified

View previous topic :: View next topic  
liz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Incorrect paths specified Reply with quote

Hi all!

I have come across a recurring issue where changes are not implemented as scheduled because one workgroup specified an incorrect path that the implementing workgroup needed to use. Sad

Have any of you experienced this, and what preventative plans did you put in place in the change planning stage?
m_croon
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEST!
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M_Croon said in a terse style

I will be verbose

The change needs to be tested before implementation

This needs to be enforced

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
liz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi m_croon and ukviking - thorough testing was done, the problem is not with that but with the fact that in the change implementaion instructions a file was specified for copying from a path that was incorrect and the 'correct' path did not even contain a file with the specified filename.

This has happened before, with different groups and individuals.
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi liz

Who signed off the implementation instructions as being correct?

This is the person you need to target. Sloppy sign-off will always be an issue until you make it less appealing than doing the job properly.

Talk to your Release Manager - this is just the kind of thing he/she should be catching.

Regards

Ed
m_croon
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

liz wrote:
Hi m_croon and ukviking - thorough testing was done, the problem is not with that but with the fact that in the change implementaion instructions a file was specified for copying from a path that was incorrect and the 'correct' path did not even contain a file with the specified filename.

Hi Liz,

Sorry, but I fail to see how you have tested thoroughly if you did not find this incorrect path. Either the instruction (with proper path) was not followed or a different instruction (with different path) was used for testing and executing the change.
liz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies .. much appreciated. I have some ideas now that I will explore with the technical guys.
Timo
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

m_croon wrote:
liz wrote:

Hi Liz,

Sorry, but I fail to see how you have tested thoroughly if you did not find this incorrect path. Either the instruction (with proper path) was not followed or a different instruction (with different path) was used for testing and executing the change.

I was going to say the same... Still sounds like a testing issue to me Smile
asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be possible that when testing was done, the test environment had a different settings from the production environment.
So it might be possible that the testing went fine but didn't work on production. If this is the case the question is were the infrastructure guys involved in the test, or at least consulted with.
Quite humble but who knows?
m_croon
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Still, this has to do with proper testing. Are production and test environments the same. if not, talk to config. and release mgt! They should provide the circumstances for proper testing.
Skinnera
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the talk of testing, I'm not sure that anyone has specifically teased out the importance of post-implementation (as opposed to pre-implementation) testing...?

I'm assuming here that the Change went in and caused an issue, rather than it being rolled back without impact other than wasted time & effort - but I could be wrong. The latter is poor also of course...

You need to collate the data, analyse it, and expose/highlight/sanction those responsible for the failure.
asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You made a point. Yeah, I wonder what happened with the PIR especially since liz said it was recurring Confused
m_croon
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

My guess would be that the PIR (be it explicitly or implicitly executed) is exactly the reason why Liz is here. Smile

Liz,

Is my assumption correct?

Cheers,

Michiel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: