Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: DBCLQ
New Today: 40
New Yesterday: 68
Overall: 139798

People Online:
Visitors: 66
Members: 0
Total: 66

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Difference between Asset and CI.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Difference between Asset and CI.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
prasadabr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Difference between Asset and CI. Reply with quote

What is the difference between asset and CI.

Where would you classify the following as..

1.A call
2. Staff.
3.An Incident Ticket No/
4.Offshore Management Centre.
5.Building.

PLease specify the reasons
dboylan
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Difference between Asset and CI. Reply with quote

prasadabr wrote:
What is the difference between asset and CI.

Where would you classify the following as..

1.A call
2. Staff.
3.An Incident Ticket No/
5.Building.

PLease specify the reasons

I would have to say none of the above are CIs. A CI is hardware, software, or documentation that is kept in a controlled state using the Change Management process. Would you use the Change Management process to approve changes to:

1.A call
2. Staff.
3.An Incident Ticket No/
5.Building

Arguably you probably are going to have some change process controlling changes to a building or Offshore Management Center, but those are going to be engineering/building changes, not IT changes.

Don

Last edited by dboylan on Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I believe that ITIL (in paticular a trainers view) can casue some confusuin here. I have sat in a class where a trainer has stated that all of the below are CI's in the CMDB. I argued the people thing and was told from an exam point of view this is correct.

I argued that these coul dbe items in a Service Management tool but the argument kept coming back to the CMDB being made up of many dofferent data sources and the data in the SM tool (similar to the below)was considered CI's.

While I hold a differing view in the real world, I had to take this view for exams. Apologies if I have confused the issue for you.

1.A call
2. Staff.
3.An Incident Ticket No/
5.Building.
Alok

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I agee with Mark's trainer that all of the below are CI's.

We all understand the importance of CMDB and while designing the scope of CI's, attributes and relations, we keep in mind the utility of the data.
All the below mentioned CI's relate to each other in various ways which might be helpfull in generating reports and analyze IT service performance.

Smile We can easily recollect various IT problems that arise due to environmental changes, so building and offshore centre have a valid relation with ticket, call and staff.

Don't forget, ITIL is a public framework i.e pre-validated in diverse environments and situations. It upto to us to broaden the perspective and then review.

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Configuration Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: