Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: DanielNock
New Today: 25
New Yesterday: 98
Overall: 143699

People Online:
Visitors: 58
Members: 1
Total: 59 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Criteria for ITIL Certification ?(Newbie Question)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Criteria for ITIL Certification ?(Newbie Question)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaits

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Criteria for ITIL Certification ?(Newbie Question) Reply with quote

I am a total newbie to ITIL. Pursuing graduation, in the final year. Can I do ITIL ? Which Course (there are versions I guess) ? What is job scope after doing ITIL ? Does it need a PG ? Finally which institutes in Mumbai offer ITIL and what duration are they?
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

look in the appropriate forums. read the faq

go to ogc, itsmf etc

not going to repeat my self for the nth time in n weeks

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
BorisBear
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need 5 years management experience to do the qualifications for the red badge.
WendyB
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone can take Foundations. And that's the jumping off point for everything else.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BorisBear,

I did not have 5 years mgmt experience in IT when I took the Manager's course and passed

Nor did a lot of people that I know who did

The absolute requirement for Red Badge Course/Exam is the foundation and EXPERIENCE in IT.

UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Sally,

I did not pass the Service Support exam because I forgot to remember the difference between the nswer vis-a-vis the ITIL / case study vice the way the answer would be at work.

Mainly for Change Mgmt and Service Desk questions.

Once I got that misconception out of my head, I passed.

And because I had to re-take the Service Support exam, the score did not matter because you can only get Distinction on the first try if you score 65 on both.

As it was I scored 68 on Delivery and 49 on Support

Nice to see you again...

UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually dont follow up on myself

And I have been in IT since 1984 in one form or another

If I had waited until I was a IT Manager .. I would have never taken the course

6 years teaching IT
6 years in the NOC
2 year as Team/Senior
3 years as Change Manager

when I took the Manager's course

I think I had enough time in the field.

new name ?

LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting a bit fed-up with some of the comments on this forum - they are going beyond innocent banter. I was in IT from 79 - only took my Manager's certificate in 2002 - got a distinction. I had lots of SM experience as a consultant, but had not been a Manager, in the sense of being involved in strategy, budgets etc. Does that make me a failure (not a manager) or a success (distinction)? Does it matter? Some years, like mine, 6% got distinctions , some years it is nearly 12%. Those sitting the exam under V1, the distinction level was about 1 in 3!!

I have never met UKVIKING, and though I think he could sometimes rein in his "grumpy old man" tendencies, he gives good advice for free. Not having a distinction, or achieving manager before some arbitrary point in his career does not seem to have blighted his life, so can we move on past this rather boring harping on about it by others?
rpmason
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LizGallacher wrote:
I am getting a bit fed-up with some of the comments on this forum - they are going beyond innocent banter... I have never met UKVIKING, and though I think he could sometimes rein in his "grumpy old man" tendencies, he gives good advice for free...

Although John's baiting can be more than a bit disconcerting, I've learned to read between the lines and to take the good and ignore the rest (with an under-the breath "he didn't really say that, did he?"). If he changed his alias to CURMUDGEON, his quarry might at least be forewarned.

I've been an IT tech writer for about 25 years and only have come into the ITIL Service Support area 3 years ago. I have IPSR, and IPRC is next. A coworker is a 2006 college graduate and has the same ITIL qualifications. Does he have extra brownie points? Nope. Do I? Nope.

Just reading these forum reinforces my existing understanding of SS processes and introduces me to different ways to accomplish a goal... quite handy when you're developing processes and procedures.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tks Liz

It is getting a bit tiring here the same person and / or comments about something I freely admit I never did get - distinction

I dont dwell on that. I dwell actually on improving my skills and trying to impact what knowledge I can share with the forum and the participants

Yes, I have a grumpy old man attitude. Some posts causes it to rise and I dont catch the Grumpy post before I hit the save button.

I do enjoy this forum and the different areas of ITIL discussion.

I dont mind a little silliness or friendly banter. Look at the Biscuits and Gravy posts in the Miscellaneous but the personal attacks do grate on me - even the oblique ones.

I find it quite childish and juvenile actions on the part of posts as well as the person who posts it.

I think it detracts from the objective of this forum

Discuss ITIL and help others understand, apply, and yes profit from ITIL

As for you Sally - yes I am not a Manager as far as manage people from a Human Resources point of view. I also did not get a distinction from the ITIL Manager's course.

My customers / clients dont care. All they care about is the following

can I do the role that they want me to do for the money that they pay me

as such... I do...

I do however manage and have managed IT infrastructures on a world wide scale and in varied organizations

Networks, systems, applications, etc I have managed individually

Major events - floods, fires, major network outages caused by fiber cuts, misconfiguration etc .. I have dealt with and dealth with it well.

I did however find that I love Change Management and the implementation, optimizing and improving of the processes,policies, procedures etc so that the company has best practice in Change management and its related itil disciplines - config and release

So I have managed multi-millions worth of IT infrastructure and do my best to make sure that my client / customer - who pays me well here in the UK - gets a good value from having me and gets Best Practice

I enjoy my job. I get paid really well. And I dont get stress from my work.

The dream job.

That is why I do what I do.

and I dont mind sharing my knowledge - . . ... ... ...

especially to people who appreciate the information and the fact that I shared my knowledge and point of view.

as to the people who dont use the forum for what it is designed for...

...shrug... they usually aint worth the anguish or response

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: