Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: MarioGsc
New Today: 37
New Yesterday: 72
Overall: 139527

People Online:
Visitors: 49
Members: 0
Total: 49

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Service Desk vs Operations Bridge
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Service Desk vs Operations Bridge

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheItilian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject: Service Desk vs Operations Bridge Reply with quote

Any thoughts on whether a Service Desk that focuses on business processes and application monitoring, (the business process status is based on predefined aggregation rules for subcomponents) should be segregated from an Operations Bridge monitoring at the component/exception level? I am looking for possible economy of scale from a resource and tool usage perspective.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider required skill sets, prioritization, management control, logging and tracking, performance analysis.

If these offer no major problems then you have the beginning of an answer.
dboylan
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue of having the same personnel responsible for monitoring operations and being the first line of user contact is that there are times when the jobs will be in conflict.

It would all work well during "normal" operations, but during times of crisis, who will be dedicated to determining the scope of the outage vs. answering the panicked phone calls from users?

Will you penalize your operations monitoring team for trying to answer calls? Will you penalize your Service Desk personnel for trying to understand the scope of an outage while users hold in queue?

Don
UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes I'm with Don on this one, you could put a lot of strain on whatever team is doing both jobs. They also have conflicting objectives: respond to customers/focus on Ops events.

You'd have to be very careful writing the job roles, objectives and metrics.

Tool wise well you only need one incident management system for a whole IT department so that shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers,

UJ

(Beige badge)
TheItilian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me clarify a little. This "Service Desk" is not the first line help desk. In this organization the traditional Help Desk is a separate entity. The Service Desk I am speaking to provide an end-to-end process view status based on predefined aggregation rules for subcomponents in applications. Events are reported automatically and an Incident is opened, tracked and facilitated by this entity. The Operations Bridge is strictly doing component level monitoring (threshold alerts, exceptions, etc...) followed by escalation to Tech Teams.
asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your explanation, I see three units: the Service Desk, the Ops Bridge, and the Help Desk.
The Ops Bridge is a monitoring unit so I suppose it doesn't interact with the customers/users
My question is which one of the remaining two is acting as the SPOC?
TheItilian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify the 3 groups…

Help Desk – the SPOC for the end user. The end users are business user groups that utilize the internal applications. The majority of incidents reported through phone calls.

Command Center – This group provides an end-to-end process view status based on predefined aggregation rules for subcomponents in highly available applications. Events are reported automatically and when Incidents occur a ticket is opened, tracked, facilitated and a conference call is owned by this group through the resolution of the incident.

The Operations Bridge – Provides component level monitoring (threshold alerts, exceptions, etc...) for all the enterprise followed by escalation to Tech Teams and they will host an internal (to technology) conference call through the resolution of the incident.
m_croon
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheItilian wrote:
Let me clarify a little. This "Service Desk" is not the first line help desk. In this organization the traditional Help Desk is a separate entity. The Service Desk I am speaking to provide an end-to-end process view status based on predefined aggregation rules for subcomponents in applications. Events are reported automatically and an Incident is opened, tracked and facilitated by this entity. The Operations Bridge is strictly doing component level monitoring (threshold alerts, exceptions, etc...) followed by escalation to Tech Teams.

Ciao,

Now I understand your wish for economies of scale. I would not seperate the service desk (as you defined it) and bridge. This would likely mean more licenses for practically the same tooling, and more communication requiered in case of emergencies (it is fine (actually: it is great) that your organisation monitors end to end, yet in case of an incident, a drill down will always be necessary. I do not know how many people you have on service desk and bridge, but in most organisations I find it more efficient to combine these functions.

Regards,

Michiel
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds far to complex to tackle in a forum like this. Without a proper understanding of how your organization fits together, I can only suggest general principles to consider:

1. Only very large or complex organizations are likely to have two dedicated monitoring/incident response functions as well as a help desk; to many it would be a luxury; therefore only scale and cost/benefit can justify the arrangement, not the range of functionality required.
2. What dboylan, urgentjensen and myself said before applies; basically look to appropriate skills, workloads, prioritization requirements and possible control conflicts in order to decide whether and how to merge units.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, maybe I'm not clever enough to follow you guys, but you said that the Service Desk is the one who opens, tracks and facilitates when an incident occurs, but the SPOC is the Help Desk.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Help Desk is usually associated with the Internal working of a Company - ie the service desk for the iT Department - that is what it is usually called

A Call Centre, Help Desk, a Service Desk, A Network Operations centre all have similar roles with an organization - depending on the organization

There should be one desk that talks to the customer

If the customer is internal - that is usually called the Help Desk
If the customers are internal and external one may be called the customer support centre and the other called the IT help desk

Dont worry what the roles/function is called. just that the function/roles are concentrated to do their and only their roles and responsibilty

incident mgmt and single point of contact for the customer

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
TheItilian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your point on solving this in a forum. I was hoping for some benchmarking with someone who has gone through the similar activity. Your point on “looking to the appropriate skills, workloads, prioritization requirements and possible control conflicts in order to decide whether and how to merge units”, is what we are doing. Basically a work study with measures of success and decision point on resource and workload alignment.

To the question from asrilrm, the organization complexity is coming out here. The Service Desk (Help Desk) is the SPOC for the end user, the Command Center is the one who opens, tracks and facilitates “major “ incidents. The Help desk is basically managing and resolving lower priority tickets.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asrilrm,

that's one of the questions I wanted to duck out of. I think the description says that the service desk responds to automatically generated incident reports (whether from software monitoring systems or from the help desk or both, I'm not sure). In that case, I assume that the incident management software works properly across both the help desk and the service desk and only the help desk talks to users and customers.

My feeling is we can keep going deeper into the specifics here until we know the system inside out before being sure what we are talking about.

So I have tried to provide an answer that makes no assumptions - well not many:).
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, I think I follow you.
Wow, you must be running a Data Center service, also as an ASP maybe?

Edited:
Sorry, Diarmid has posted while I was typing Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: