Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: CMurch
New Today: 76
New Yesterday: 169
Overall: 131143

People Online:
Visitors: 56
Members: 2
Total: 58 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - So your new to ITIL...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So your new to ITIL...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nadirk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: So your new to ITIL... Reply with quote

That's right, you guessed it, I am new to ITIL.

I have been researching this for about a week now and the more information I find the more I think to myself, WOW. People from all around the world with all this diversity, yet here for a common cause... ITIL. There must be something here, and I wan't to understand and learn more.

So then, why did I start this.... we'll I didn't. Some guys in the U.K did, I like most of you heard about the benefits, did some investigation and now I want to take this to the next level. This is were you all come in...

How do I do that ?...

Well these are my first few questions.

1. So what is it ? (Lamens terms)
2. What can I actually do with this ?
3. Is it really worth it ?
4. What do I need to study for this qualification ?
5. What sections should I concentrate on to get the Foundation certificate ?
6. Is there a definitive training path to become ITSM qualified.

If you are reading this then you, like me are also new to this, or you just wanted to know what this "newbie" is going on about.

This is a request for help and guidance, not just for me but for everyone new to ITIL. Some of you already know alot and some of you don't. So let's help each other to get started. I know I need it.

Thanks in advance.

Nadir Khan

"In the circus of life, I am the ringmaster..."
rjp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. So what is it ?

The result of a group of experts investigating current best practice in ICT production and developing a set of process frameworks that formalise those practices.

The key is framework - not standards, or recipies.
The over arching principle of ITIL is that the objective of all ICT production activity should be the alignment of that activity to the strategic requirements of the host organisation.

Also - avoid a common trap - ITIL is not a way of doing systems management: It is a framework for IT Service Management which is a complimentary set of disciplines at the management level.

2. What can I actually do with this ?

All by yourself - not a lot. The ITIL processes have implications all the way down the management pyramid. It's not going to be something you apply to your own role in isolation.

But as a general career move - ITIL is pretty hot right now, think of it as the Y2K skill set of the noughties Smile

3. Is it really worth it ?

Well I think so.

4. What do I need to study for this qualification ?

The people providing the Foundation certificate will provide the materials you need for that. There are practitioner and manager level certificates and there are books published by the OGC that cover the courses - not cheap but still good value. The IT Service Management Foundation also publishes some very good complimentary material.

5. What sections should I concentrate on to get the Foundation certificate ?

The foundation certificate covers everything - but not in great depth. It is not a sufficinet level of training (by itself) for someone who is going to be an implementor of ITIL. It is ideal for those whose jobs are going to include participation in ITIL based service management processes.

6. Is there a definitive training path to become ITSM qualified.

Yep: Only the OGC (through 3rd party trainers and examination boards) can certify you - they own the IP.
Only people can be certified - not companies or products.

There is the Foundation cerrtificate.
Once you have that you can take the Managers (also called Masters by some) Certificate.
There are also now Practitioners Certificates in specific ITIL processes - not all of them last time I looked. Useful for those who are going to take responsibility for a particular disciplline in an organisation.

I've done the practitioners and managers courses - and they are really very good value, but be warned they are a hell of a lot of work, and though for the managers I only had around 10 contact days, that is only a tiny part of what you need to prep adequately for the exams.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: