Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: FHatley
New Today: 56
New Yesterday: 66
Overall: 142275

People Online:
Visitors: 89
Members: 0
Total: 89

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Your Definition of a Change...?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your Definition of a Change...?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
skystar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skinnera,

We are having the same struggles defining a Change in our organization. Here is what we have come up with so far:

These are the criteria that constitute a change:

1. Will or could cause an interruption to service to the customer.
2. Affects other organizational areas.
3. 3rd party vendor patches
4. Downtimes

It is also very vague and since we are starting out, and also do not YET have a CMDB, we are asking for everyone to use common sense when determining which Changes to log.

Hope this helps. At least you can rest assured that you are not alone! Wink

Katie
jpgilles
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: definition of a change Reply with quote

Hi,

The definition I use :

"Any operation or action modifying the nominal state (*) of an item participating in the delivery of the services " , be the item a piece of hardware, software, documentation, tool, schedule, parameter, procedure, organization,....
NB1: Moving back an item to its nominal state , as part of the Incident Management process is NOT a change.
NB2: Modifying an item, identified as a cause of incidents, as part of the problem management process, IS a change.

(*): the nominal state is the official, documented, hard-coded, saved state of the item (if you have a CMDB, that means the baseline CI).

If it can help....

regards
cherryberry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Your Definition of a Change...? Reply with quote

[quote="Skinnera"]Understanding that the ITIL definition of a Change is "moving (a CI) from one defined state to another", I would be interested to know whether you use other definitions in the real world.

quote]

In the place i am currently working at, we have simple definition is: any change goes through production environment needs change management.
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Your Definition of a Change...? Reply with quote

Skinnera wrote:
Understanding that the ITIL definition of a Change is "moving (a CI) from one defined state to another", I would be interested to know whether you use other definitions in the real world.

For example we don't have a CMDB therefore no CI's, so ours is as follows "Any work that will or has the potential to affect or degrade the quality of service to customers, or to expose live [organisation name] systems to increased levels of risk."

However this is somewhat vague and open to interpretation, if not outright abuse by raising a Change for almost everything (laying cables in a comms room, etc).

Looking to get a tighter definition and wanted to survey your opinions... Smile

Hi Skinnera

going back to the original post - we do not have a formal CMDB either (we operate a paper system for Change), but I want to know when my technicians are mucking about under the floor, as the possibilities for mayhem are endless. We use Standard Changes for this type of work, but insist they are related firmly to a procedure. I am of the school of more is better when it comes to re

As far as the definition of 'what constitutes a Change?' we use the very wordy definition in the ITIL Manual for our policy document.

'The authorized addition, modification, or removal of approved, supported or base lined: hardware, network, software, environment, system, desktop build, or associated documentation'

This translates to 'Any Change to the Live Environment needs to be covered by an RFC or Standard Change'

Regards

Ed
joe_bake

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are having the same problem at my organization.

First, we have the SOX critical CIs (the ones that touch financial data) where we HAVE to follow CM for every change - no matter how small the changes are. Now, what is a change here? Pretty much everything.

Second, we have the non-SOX critical CIs (the ones that don't affect financial data) where we set up our own company's definition. So far we will use this one:

- A proposed upgrade/modification to some function of the applications/network infrastructure
- Any introduction of a network infrastructure element
- Any introduction of an application to our IT supported apps

Skinnera, I would appreciate an update from you on this topic (i.e. were you able to come up with a better definition?).

Thank you.
Skinnera
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe_bake wrote:
Skinnera, I would appreciate an update from you on this topic (i.e. were you able to come up with a better definition?).
Welcoem to the forums, and indeed I was - or at least, a different definition! - and it was driven by SOx Wink

We now define a Change as follows;
"Any work on the live [organisation name] systems, infrastructure or services that will or has the potential to affect, degrade or expose to increased levels of risk the quality of service to customers."

So to paraphrase Eric & Ernie, all the same words but not necessarily in the same order!

It was to address 2 problems;

1 - people raising 'ass-covering' Change in case anything went wrong, and so that Incident Management had a 'hook' to hang a service outage on
2 - SOx saying that our definition didn't match theirs

It did address the first issue, but not the second in that extending a db table to prevent an application crashing would be done 'ad-hoc' by a DBA but recorded as an RFC for reasons of expediency and pragmatism - or rather, not to flood my team with short notice 'noddy' records that would only be a retrospective reference point for SOx, not the control they were looking for.

Therefore to address the second issue we just went back to the owners of the SOx-covered applications, explained the problem and made them come up with a method of ensuring the db table type of 'cahnge' was recorded and approved prior to implementation. Just not as an RFC and therefore not my issue! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: