Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: Richardhit
New Today: 11
New Yesterday: 75
Overall: 142305

People Online:
Visitors: 69
Members: 0
Total: 69

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Problems vs. Incidents
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems vs. Incidents
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hutch
My responses (Guest2) were directed at the statements made by Guest1:
"I truly believe that the manual, human-based, and slow tasks of many of the incident and problem management tasks will be completely computer automated - including the actually root cause analysis"
samir_doley

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azard is bang on target. I think we need to go back to basics...at least to read properly what ITIL says...it has proved itself over the years. A few observation:

1. Incident never becomes a problem. Incident reamins an incident till closure. Problem remains a problem till closure..except they have a one to many relation.

2. When too many incidents of a similar kind occur we infer that there must be some problem hence need to investigate...how...open problem ticket & go through Problem management process.

3. Nothing called traditional ITIL: ITIL is a set of best practices...it doesnt say you have to do something or else you are dead.. Wink You can adopt and customize them.

4. Proactive Problem management is there in ITIL: You need high operational maturity to benefit from it. better understand your capabilities and then implement.

5. Tools: Yes make effective use of tools..thats what ITIL says...but with the kind of investment tool requires..better be sure to use it properly or it gets complicated

6. About the roles: PM & IM should be separate roles...doesnt mean 2 persons..i person can undertake two roles..but not suggested as they conflict as suggested by Azard.

Suggest not to underestimate the ITIL book... ! Cool

Samir, ITSM
Naseeb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just a Wonderful thread where in many of us wouldnt be able to Exactly differentiate b/n Incident and Problem. Cool

IM and PM seperated by a very thin string.As Azard rightly put it across IM Manager and Problem Manager roles should be very well established in any company.
Brian1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone, just adding my two cents worth here. Big Al, ITIL is a framework and each process is a set of best practices that you should tailor to your organization based on its industry, culture, process maturity and business goals. To give you an example, the organization I work for is privately held. If the one computer was a facility person then likely we would manage it with incidents and that would be the end of it. ONLY if the same person on the same computer called in a number of times a problem ticket be raised. Now take the same situation and this tiem the person is the owner, a problem ticket would have been opened on the first incident and likely an RFC raised to replace the system if it happened a second time. Now this is extreme and my point is this, ITIL has nothing to do with "when" you do something, it tells you how to do it when you need to do it.

Hope this helps.
Brian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Problem Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: