Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: P8873
New Today: 54
New Yesterday: 73
Overall: 140028

People Online:
Visitors: 67
Members: 0
Total: 67

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Change Request approval outside office hours
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Change Request approval outside office hours

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyW
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Change Request approval outside office hours Reply with quote

Hi,

I decided to control Service Reboots via an Emergency Change Request. All "emergency Requests" need to be approved by the Change Mgr in our company. This works fine - at least in business hours when the CHG Mgr is available. I wonder how other companies address this issue outside the office hours, when the Change Mgr is not in.

cheers,
asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my understanding, Emergency Changes must be justified by the CAB/EC.
Why not classifying reboots as standard/pre-approved change?
All you need to do is call the Change Mgr by phone and get an oral approval.
Action could be taken immediately but of course you will have to complete the documentation following the action
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

"Why not classifying reboots as standard/pre-approved change? " the question is about ot of hours - you can't assume that the CM is on duty 24*7 365.

Generally most organisations will have an on duty manager or a senior manager that will take a call out of hours for emergencies. A reboot out of hours that i snot planned shoul dbe for an emergency affecting a service that should be available at that time.

Another approach is to talk with the CM and senior manager and see if you can get a roster going for approval of emergency changes outside of normal operational hours and how to deal with the issue of remuneration is necessary - some roles this is added as a requirement to do some out of hours cover - some roles it is not and is not easy to get past i.e. in public sector.
asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I guess I didn't speak clear enough.

Quote:
In my understanding, Emergency Changes must be justified by the CAB/EC.

Of course gathering the CAB/EC outside office hours would be out of question. Unless you define that Emergency Changes don't need the CAB/EC

Quote:
All you need to do is call the Change Mgr by phone and get an oral approval.
Action could be taken immediately but of course you will have to complete the documentation following the action

That's what I say one possible way out
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CAB/EC can consist of any number of people as needed / defined by the cm policy

for example

a NT system reboot being a emergency change woud initiate the cab/ec

Change Manager during office hours /// or /// duty manager off hours
NOC Manager / Team lead
System tech lead / or snr person

as long as the policy is clear and UPPER MGMT agrees to this then the change mgr is not call 24x7

;-0

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Skinnera
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Change Request approval outside office hours Reply with quote

AndyW wrote:
I wonder how other companies address this issue outside the office hours, when the Change Mgr is not in.
We're fortunate enough to have a 24x7 Service Controller function, so they review and approve any Fault Fix or Emergency CCRs for us.

I don't work every hour of the day - it just feels like it! Wink
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Sorry to be naive, but why is a reboot a change? I consider it an operational procedure. All the risks and impacts should be well enough understood and documented to be controlled operationally.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The topic of whether reboots are classified as change or not has been a discussion for a long time.
People can have different valid understandings.
What is important is consistency. If you set reboots as changes, then treat them as changes. If you set them as SOPs, then treat them as operations items.

Just a discourse:
For me, reboots are more "bringing the service back as soon as possible" with the assumption that the reboot is required because of an application hangup, deadlocks.
Reboots due to patches, upgrade, network changes are part of the RFC to install the patches, upgrade, etc.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

asrilrm wrote:

Reboots due to patches, upgrade, network changes are part of the RFC to install the patches, upgrade, etc.

I rather assumed that these were not in the question because they are, as asrilrm rightly points out, just a step in another activity which is a change.

But when reboot is simply recovery from crash or hang or whatever (power outage?), it is not conceivably a change, unless you have updated the CMDB with the status of the machine.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Im not saying what is right or wrong but have a comment regards the following

"But when reboot is simply recovery from crash or hang or whatever (power outage?), it is not conceivably a change, unless you have updated the CMDB with the status of the machine"

I don't fully agree. WHat if your recovery from the crach or hang or whatever causes additional problems and incidents. is that ok. E.g. to recover from a hung application you decide to reboot a server and not go through emergency change control. you reboot the server. However there are 4 other business critical application on the same server and rebooting it now causes all these applications to stop working the period of the reboot. - is this a good or a bad situation.

Emergency change can be used to prevent this and control the manner in which you recover protecting the other operational services. Also I don't buy the reason given that the CI has not chnaged, Sure you have not changes a value of an attribute but the state of the CI has changed from being available, or hung etc to being hard down when you reboot.

Just some thoughts.
asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're beginning to go off topic.
I'd like to give my opinion regarding Mark's comment, but I guess not here

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: