Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: TFCKY
New Today: 12
New Yesterday: 74
Overall: 131846

People Online:
Visitors: 38
Members: 5
Total: 43 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Service desk Staff Count
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Service desk Staff Count

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sherry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Service desk Staff Count Reply with quote

We have about 1800 IT users in our company and 2 SD executives.On an avergae our SD receives 40-45 calls per day and about 30-45 mails for enquiry of status & for logging new calls.SD takes on an average 5 minuites for simple logging and 15-20 max for those including logging calls and providing resolution depending on the issue category.SD also does L1 application support.
At times the call volume is really high that they are not able to answer calls nor respond to mails on time.
At present from a service delivery point of view to ensure quality support and SLA stats i beleieve we need atleast 3 dedicated SD excecutives and 1 L1 application support person.I have arrived at this conclusion by observing the half hourly call pattern and call volume/resolution per day.

Could any one help me please if my thoughts are right?
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I guess you wont know if this is the magic number until you put those resources in place. There is an option to use contractors to fill those roles that you estimate for a short period of time to evaluate if they can fill the need. If you can just about reach your targets then the numbers may apear correct. if you exceed the tagrets easily you have estimated too many. It is always difficult to anser such a question based on just numbers - you now have made youe estimate notw add the bodies - if you can't get full funding for all on a temporary basis then get who you can and baseline again and see how the numbers are affected for better or for worse.

Using contractors initially will allow you to let some go if your estimates are too high and maybe hire some on a full time basis if you want to keep them.
sherry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark

THanks for the reply.

We have this service desk already in place and functional with two people.Prior it was three 3 plus 2 for L1, now it has been downsized as the support is being rendered by outsourcing.
Now our buisness is expanding and the SD is kind of overloaded.Hence to help them arrive an a realistic headcount to acheive quality service, i need a suggestion for any calculating tool or method for the same.
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I don't think that there is a magic tool that can calaulate this for you. As for method I have provided one feasable method for dealing with the situation. It comes down to the math(s)

You have to estimate the effort required to get you back to normal against the effort one perosn can provide in a given day and work from there.

i think you have done this ... "At present from a service delivery point of view to ensure quality support and SLA stats i beleieve we need atleast 3 dedicated SD excecutives and 1 L1 application support person"

So you have done the math(s) not the next thing is to see how close to reality this is - but trying it out with people. If you are looking fro some method or tool to back up your findings to management for budget / resources I don't think you will fond one other that the effort required against resource capability per day (or something similar).
sherry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,
Thanks for your input.i will do as per the hint i got and will get back .
erfo02
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One way of doing this is to divide the team into two parts. The first part is responsible for availability and solving those issues that are very quick (<5 mins such as passwords etc). The rest will be dispatched to backoffice. In this way you will make sure that users gets a reply which is the basic requirement for a SD.
The other part (backoffice) will pick up the issues that was not solved within frontoffice and call the users. These are responsible for solutionrate in your service desk

Frontoffice should be able to solve between 60-70% of your incoming calls and Backoffice an additional 10-15%. The rest will be escalated (functional escalation) to 2nd line units but still the responsibility stays with the Service desk of course.
erfo02
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I also should add that I was more or less answering another question Smile If you need help with calculating resources that according to incoming calls and issues I will of course assist you.

Please PM me and we can have this discussion off-line
sherry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your help. please share your mail id if you could
erfo02
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for not replying earlier. You can just send me an email using my first name.lastname@compitil.se.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: