Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: TI68
New Today: 154
New Yesterday: 202
Overall: 130718

People Online:
Visitors: 48
Members: 4
Total: 52 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - When does a help desk need ITIL?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When does a help desk need ITIL?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jllvt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: When does a help desk need ITIL? Reply with quote

Hi,

I manage the Help Desk for an organization that is both an NGO and a private college, headquartered in the U.S. We have about 650 users based in Vermont, Washington DC, and around the Globe, and an IT Infrastructure staff of 6 to support all these people.

I came across the concept of ITIL while researching Help Desk Call Center software. I need to upgrade my current ticketing system.

So when does ITIL matter, and when doesn't it? Why should I care about a ticketing system that is ITIL compliant versus one that isn't? If there's a FAQ about this, please point me there; I checked the FAQ for this Forum but it's all just about "my account isn't working" and such.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
John
m_croon
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

First of all, there is no such thing as an 'ITIL compliant' tool. People who tell you otherwise are not telling you the truth. A tool might facilitate certain (ITIL)processes, that doesn't mean that this tool fullfills your (business)requierements.

Also, ITIL (proces) and call center software (tooling) are two different things. You should have your processes clear, after which you ought to addapt your tooling to facilitate those processes.

Re. your question about when ITIL does matter: it always does, as long as it provides added value to your NGO. As silly and logically as that may sound, many people tend to forget this and see ITIL as a goal instead of (part of) a solution.

ITIL is a 'good practice', a descriptive framework that is about a service lifecycle (v3), backed up by processes such as incident management, change management etc. Hey John, so if your team works on incidents, changes etc. that means that you are already 'doing ITIL' (or at least bits of it). You might not call it ITIL, you might not follow the ITIL books for 100% (who cares), but you are executing processes described in the IT Infrastructure Library.

Using ITIL explicitly (and in the right way) should help you to (1) provide a common language for all people involved in IT, and (2) to POSSIBLY become more efficient / mature in your processes (the latter obviously depending on your organisation). It should always be used in the context of people, performance, proces, product (tool), partner (supplier).

Hope this helps,

Michiel Croon
Getronics PinkRoccade
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

this might be useful: http://www.itilcommunity.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3354
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
mredekar
Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I appreciate the way Michiel Croon has explained. I fully agree with his post.

ITIL is a framework of best of the practices that are followed by IT Service Managers around the globe. You can pick up practices that suite (or needed) to your organization, existing & future business requirements and type service(s) that are being provided.

Regards,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: