Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: CCrane
New Today: 56
New Yesterday: 49
Overall: 146085

People Online:
Visitors: 58
Members: 2
Total: 60 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Change or CI first
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Change or CI first

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mnp123
Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Change or CI first Reply with quote

We are in the process of defining integration of Change and Config process. Currently users are creating/updating CI directly in CMDB. We are having problem when we integrate these process should we create CI using Change Management or provide a capability to users that they can create/update CI directly to CMDB but once status of CI changes to "In-Service Production" any update to CI should be handled by change process. Anyone has done that? I appreciate your comments back.
Thanks
asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

In my company, we set a team to collect data from service areas and record them in the CMDB.
So there is no direct access by any user to the CMDB.

We did our Change and Configuration Management process development in parallel. Change Management process got finalized first.
Configuration Management process is still in progress, mainly because the team is still struggling in collecting data for the CMDB.
During the time waiting for the CMDB to complete, the successful changes were collected and passed to the Configuration Management Team to update the CMDB.

This mechanism will keep on going until the CMDB is completed, then things will be going in the proper way.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
Asril
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

if you have Change Management in place then nothing should change without following the procedure. In particular you should not wait until CIs have a live status before bringing in change control because you have already made a live change to reach that status.

Now, if you are still in the process of populating the CMDB, then the best way is to have that under project control with change authority linked to the project. But as soon as a CI has been established it should be under change management.

The reason you need the hard line is to protect the integrity of the CMDB. you can very quickly get to a situation where you cannot trust the content if you do not have firm control at this stage.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Skinnera
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost every organisation I have worked for or seen has had an effective Change process in place without having implemented a single, consolidated CMDB, so I think that's your answer. Smile
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Diarmid wrote:
Hi,

In particular you should not wait until CIs have a live status before bringing in change control because you have already made a live change to reach that status.

This is true, but you do not want to get bogged down in having to do change control for all the work that goes on before the CI goes into prod. You cna make a rule. As long as the chaneg os not affecting the production environemtn and as long as the CI is not is production you make allow chanegs to be made to the CI. e.g. Building a serevr and loading on the applications. Do you want to have all this under change control ?? when as long as the box is not in the live environment there should be no impact in building it.

I agree that you do need a change request in order to change the CI status to a Production status code and this could be the final part of the change submitted in order to carry out the work to get the CI into production.
mnp123
Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, I do agree that for building a server it takes a long time. We in out company also do not want to have Admin just doing the documentation and not actual work. My worry is virtual server which are Hardware CI's goes on top of physical server. If someone wants to create virtual server (new CI not in service) on top of physical server (existing CI, In Service). Now if someone has already placed a Change Record against existing physical server it is a conflict and someone should worry about it. How can we handle this kind of situation?
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I see. I would add this specific situation to the change management process and distribute the update only (not the whole proces) to all the support teams that may be affected by this. Now you are making an specific reason for needing the Change Request and detailing why - as you are adding a VM to an existing live CI (VM environment).

Once the VM is set up you should ascertain if you need CR's for changes to the VM inamge or if the image can now be built without the need for CR's - the main point here is will there be any impact in building the vm image on any production services.
mnp123
Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, Isn't it VM getting installed on a physical server is a relationship between two CI's? I agree installing VM on a physical server is not going to cause a major problem if everything goes w/o any issue. In our company team who install VM on physical server are same so impact if someone in team took down a server cause a VM install failure will be low but what about any software getting install on the server. There are different teams who install software on a given server. Installing a software on a server (e.g. database) is equivalent to creating CI in CMDB. Say for example if someone installing Oracle database instance on a physical server and some Admin took down physical server because of scheduled CR isn't it this is a conflict because of relationship.
I want to make sure we have one process in our company for create/update regardless of if it is hardware CI or software CI. Do you agree?
Thanks
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

going back to your original first comment - I have done that in the past i.e. allowed network admind create CI's against a non production CI status code and when it was to go live ahve to start submitting CR;s. However when the CI's were created an email was sent to a confog librarian who also had some tasks to confirm and verfy the CI was indeed an on scope CI etc. and that the person know to follow the proces to get to a live status.

I also like that you are working on the change and config process in tandem - as in this case one affects the other.

The VM image will be a CI that has a relationship to the machine that is hosting the image - but a CI being a CI it is subject to change control.

Does this help?
mnp123
Itiler

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, Thanks for your input. I was out for couple of days so couldn't reply. We did make decision that we require RFC for creating/updating the CI's for VM because it looks like we are making changes to a physical server which is in production.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: