Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: CA40
New Today: 19
New Yesterday: 54
Overall: 146232

People Online:
Visitors: 43
Members: 2
Total: 45 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ģ ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - ITIL implementation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ITIL implementation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
doussa1

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: ITIL implementation Reply with quote

hi everybody Wink
i have to implement ITIL in 3 small companies,i have read all the documents but still i don't have a precise idea how to deal with it...the first thg that comes to my mind is that i have to prepare a database...could anyone help me to go on?
thx for all
Embarassed
Azard
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 3:28 am    Post subject: Implemeting ITIL Reply with quote

Hi, I am not sure if by implementing ITIL in 3 companies, you mean you have to consolidate three companies, or if these are three separate companies. Your starting approach is going to be different, as you will have to address different issues, such as merging organizations, responsibility of duties, etc.

You also need to decide are you going to go for quick visible wins, Service Desk, Incident Management, Change management, or are you going for building the foundations first, Configuration Management. Putting the processes in place, and then getting the technology to map to it will take many months, so donít think these are 3 month projects. Set realistic goals as implementing ITIL into an organization that is new to ITIL, can be met with a great deal of resistance to the change. Sometimes this resistance needs to be overcome first.

Iím sure you have come to realize, it is one thing to read the books. It is another to implement it within an organization.

Good luck. Smile

Azard
Stadinx

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doussa1,

An ITIL implementation is a huge commitment., especially if it is for 3 businesses The first thing I would recommend is taking the ITIL Foundations course. I would also suggest seeking outside help if you have the budget.

Asking questions in these forums is a good place to start to get an idea of what to do. There are also many resources on the web to do more research.

Good luck
Stadinx
RandyASteinberg

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The goal is not to implement ITIL in 3 companies.

The goal is to solve IT and business service issues with those companies using ITIL as a means to do so.

Therefore, the first step is not building a database - it's making sure you've identified what service issues need to be addressed to meet business needs.
doussa1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: thx everybody Reply with quote

first thx for ur replies...
i have studied the infrastracture of the first company where i am...incident management and configuration management r now well done with all the items...
unfortunatly here in morocco i couldn't find where to have the foundations course Sad i have only read the blue and red books to see what i can do!!
i do everythg myself!! Confused
javierarcal
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

You can do a web oriented foundation course. Look for: itil training in Google and you will find some.

About your question:
From my point of view the first thing you need to decide is from which group of ITIL processes you should start, and to decide that you need to understand the business, the IT infrastructure and you objectives in this implementation.

It is very important to know the scope of the project, the scope of the implementation

Have a nice weekend
Javier
(Spain)
shihboy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Same dilemma Reply with quote

hi doussa1

I am currently experiencing the same problem as yours. I've been assigned by my manager to implement ITIL to the current Service Management structure of my team. I have taken the Foundation Course of ITIL but honestly I do not think the knowledge is enough for the actual implementation of ITIL. Right now, I am requesting for the second level training course for ITIL. Anyway, let me explain a bit of what I am experiencing maybe you can get something. It is generally adviced that we start off with building a CMDB, or the database that holds all IT-related information (infrastructure, application, Service Level Agreements, etc.). But I decided to focus first on Incident-Problem-Change Management. Only because these are the first processes that the customers can see and experience. Of course along with this, I will have to build a database that can support these processes. After setting this up and making sure that it is functioning steadily, then will I move on to implementing the other processes, most importantly Configuration Management.

As of the moment, I am looking for a tool to be used to handle the basic Service Desk function and at the same time support the 3 said processes. My team is looking into Tivoli, HP, and the like. I hope I can get some recommendations from this forum as well. Also doussa, if you come up with anything, please let me know. Maybe we can help each other. Thank you! Have a great day and good luck!
Maverick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: ITIL Implementation Reply with quote

Hi doussa1,

I am implemeting ITIL in an org in india. Here are my inputs on the way to begin:
1. Define the IT Services. Identify a Service Owner. The service owner shall then develop a complete Service Framework defining the roles & responsibilities, training requirements, IT Systems to provide the service etc.
It is important to begin with defining services as it will form the basis for the complete implementation.
2. Next should be your incident management/ problem mangement
3. Change and configuration should go hand in hand.
4. Release.
Here you complete the service support part and then you can pick up the Service Delivery processes.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,
Maverick
javierarcal
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shihboy,

I have implemented Incident Management and ProblemManagement using Peregrine Service Center a product which is called "Itil compliant", is quite a good tool for helpdesk, the main problem of peregrine Service Center is to integrate Assets Data into Service Center and also if you want to perform a lot of customizations is not very friendly..

Peregrine also have another tool called Asset Center to manage Assets so you can have your CMDB data base in may different tecnhologies ORACLE, MS-SQL, SYBASE..., but cost of licences are quite expensive

I also know there is a GNU tool called DCL (Double Choco Latte) this completely free and I knowsome universities are using it as a call centre tool with good results.

Hope It helps
Javier (Spain)
doussa1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: implementing ITIL Reply with quote

Hi
well i have begun working in the CMDB,before i took time to detect all the processes of the services in the firm,i begun with the incident/problem management then configuration management and next step will be change management..i will only work on this parts and there will be too other people who will develop the tool..it is quite interesting and everyday i am learning more and more...
P.S: sorry for my bad english Very Happy hope u can understand me..
shihboy i can give u all what i produced but the only problem is that it is in french so if u want i can share it with u..and the same for u if u can..
thx Javier for ur help...
i will look for the courses and hope it is not too expensive..
for anyone who wanna contact me: housnita@hotmail.com
Maverick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi doussa,

One issue you will certainly face when u implement CMDB ahead of Change Management is that the data in CMDB will get outdated pretty fast. The only other way to keep the CMDB data updated is to manually track all changes which is a cumbersome task.
Would suggest that you implement change together or ahead of CMDB

Regards,
Maverick
rjp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice is don't jump in the pool straight away -

Make sure you have read through the Red, Blue and especially Green ITIL books (Service Delivery, Service Support, and Planning to Implement Service Management).

In the green book there are two things in the Appendix worth becoming very familiar with:

Apendix J: The Process Maturity Framework, and
Appendix C: Framework for Evaluation of Organisations.

The organisational evaluation is particularly useful: An organisation on Level 1 - (technology focus) may consider itself to be doing a pretty good job, but (IMHO) it is onyl when an organisation is at the point where it is making the tranistion from Level 2 - (product/Service focus) to Level 3 - (Customer focus) that is is primed for a full run at the ITIL processes.

Prior to that my advice is get focused on the process maturity framework and get what is already being done into the best shape possible first. It's easier to change something that is clear and defined, and its easier to define and clarify what is already being done.

(IMHO) there the ITIL is not sturcutred arounf independent processes - so picking a discipline as the 'first' then moving on to another involves a lot of pain - it's like building a person by starting with a fully formed leg - exceedingly awkward when you have to catch a ball Smile

Another tip - take every opportunity you can to get people in IT who don't work with each other doing so - ITIL processes deliberately cross the boundaries of the usual IT silos - and a team-based culture that involves people giving up a little bit of autonomy for the greater good is one of those subtle make-or-break factors.

Oh and of course get some training, but be realistic, at least one senior person in the organisation should do the full ITIL managers course (also called the ITIL masters certificate by those who need that little extra bit of self-esteem.)
adpatawaran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: thx everybody Reply with quote

doussa1 wrote:
first thx for ur replies...
i have studied the infrastracture of the first company where i am...incident management and configuration management r now well done with all the items...
unfortunatly here in morocco i couldn't find where to have the foundations course Sad i have only read the blue and red books to see what i can do!!
i do everythg myself!! Confused

what are this blue and red books? Embarassed
are they good reads for someone with zero knowledge about ITIL?

thanks.
javierarcal
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Blue book -> Service Support
Red book -> Service Delivery

These are the core of the 8 ITIL books

You can see more information or buy them from
3w.itil-itsm-world.com/books.htm

These are very good books and you can be sure it will be a good ideia read them to know how ITIL works

Hope it helps
Regards
Javier
Madrid- Spain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll check out the link you gave me.
Thanks a lot!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: