Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: AMoseley
New Today: 43
New Yesterday: 71
Overall: 146143

People Online:
Visitors: 45
Members: 0
Total: 45

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - ITIL tool solutions - use your own or outsource this service
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ITIL tool solutions - use your own or outsource this service

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leo_ferreira

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 4:24 am    Post subject: ITIL tool solutions - use your own or outsource this service Reply with quote

Hi,

My company has been implementing ITIL. Now we have to decide what ITSM tools we are going to use to enable the processes and how.

Our doubt is:

After we have designed the processes:
Is it better to buy and implement the solution (tools) internally or outsource this service (use tools implemented by an outsource vendor) ?
What are the advantage and disadvantages of each scenario? What are the success and failed cases of outsourcing this service (have ITIL tools implemented in a outsource vendor) ?

Thanks and regards,
Leonardo Ferreira
UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi leonardo,

Good question, usually they're just about which product you prefer etc.

Using suppliers - positives:

- Pre-designed tool set saves you your own development time and money.
- Objective view of your project - experience of similar implementations
- Expertise in their technology and possibly how it should integrate with your other technologies.
- Dedicated resources.
- Politically neutral.

Using suppliers - negatives:

- Can sell you more than you need.
- You need to engage them with a thorough requirements document
- You need to ensure the contract is watertight and stacked in your favour, specifically around implementation project delivery and ongoing support as they will be trying to keep other clients happy too.
- Suppliers can cost a lot more money than internal development.

Internal development - positives:

- No contracts/legal requirements will save a lot of time and money.
- You will only develop/enhance what is needed as you're not buying into a package that may be rish with features you don't need.
- You can manage the ongoing support and development with a lot more flexibility because it's in-house.

Internal development - negatives:

- Internal politics is the biggest problem I've seen, with everyone trying to manipulate the tool capabilities for their benefit.
- Implementation depends on having a decent PM process
- Possible lack of skills in terms of a tool set that's been bought in - compared to the suppliers own consultants of course.

Um, surely plenty more but hope this helps.

Cheers,

UJ

(Beige badge)
Doober
Itiler

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Leo,

If it were my shop, I'd buy the tool and run the implementation project, but I'd bring in people to execute the implementation side. Hope that makes sense. I'd also hire a resource full time that understands the capabilities of the tool.

In military terms, even good plans seldom survive first contact with the enemy. Processes will change, new processes will be added, old processes will go away. You need your tool to change with these seasons and the best way to do that is with someone on site who knows how.
kinger
Itiler

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo,

Just be sure of your scope from higher up. I've been out before and found fantastic tools simply to be told there is a budget of 0 for change and configuration management, and that any tools will have to be developed in house.

The fact is, building your own can have it's problems as they guys have said above, the risk there is it can cost a lot more in the long run, especially due to the lack of support.

Personally I would always reccommend the out of the box approach, simply because the companies are often keen to help and fulfill your requirements (as long as you can give them a very specific idea of what it is you want, don't allow them to make you change your processes to fit their tools). As long as you have a nicely prepared argument (requirements documentation is a must), I find this the most sensible approach, however, it may be that presenting the requirements document to your internal DBA support team might prove some positive results?

To summarrise: I don't know, but I've always tended to lean towards the outsourcing of the tool. Possibly due to bad experiences of the internal approach in the past.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: