Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: EWaller
New Today: 44
New Yesterday: 64
Overall: 148297

People Online:
Visitors: 47
Members: 1
Total: 48 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Speak proper
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speak proper
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Speak proper Reply with quote

I'm thinking about bringing in elocution lessons for some service desk staff. They are not unintelligent, just poorly spoken. I am not after the Queens English but I just want them to sound clear and vaguely intelligent.

Oh, and this has nothing to do with their nationality/xenophobia as they're all English.

What do you think?

UJ

(Beige badge)
mnsmith
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Service Desk is the link between all of the ITIL processes and the users. Therefore good communication skills has to be a must for any Service Desk operative, irrespectively of the language, nationality or technical ability of the user.
UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but the question is really: Will it be seen as 'undignifying' and will I have some of these numpties going to HR and raising a grievance?

Personally I'd probably be a bit annoyed if it were me, but in reality I'm well educated and don't like thick/lazy people.

UJ

(Beige badge)
kinger
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do decide to go ahead with this UJ, you couldn't teach most of the English population while you're at it could you?
asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I think your SD staff would need like John Robert Powers or kind of Service Excellence course
mnsmith
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your staff have been training in the ways of ITIL, they should already be fully aware that their role requires good communication skills. Therefore, as long as you bring up the topic of elocution carefully, there shouldn't be any need for them to raise a greivance.

Also you need to look into is why have you employed staff with communication issues, when communication is a key part of the role? You'll then be able to stop this happening again and again.

You get me.
UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think I get you, thanks. I was hoping to introduce a 'dunces cap' for when they get things wrong. Especially if they use 'well' as an adjective. They must learn the hard way.

(Beige badge)
kinger
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UrgentJensen wrote:
Yes, I think I get you, thanks. I was hoping to introduce a 'dunces cap' for when they get things wrong. Especially if they use 'well' as an adjective. They must learn the hard way.

that is a well good idea.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UJ,

UrgentJensen wrote:
I've been on the beach in Spain for the last week and have got the 'Glasgow tan': blue => white.

For those of you of a non British pursuasion that's about as brown as we Celts get. ...

You're not by any chance trying to get a bunch of Londoners to sound Glasgow?

Worthy as that would be, you can't succeed.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More to the point - No-One who comes from North of Watford has any idea as to what 'Real English' is!!! After all ' Hello my darling' is the best greeting anyone can get. Us Londoners speak proper not like some geezer in a skirt.

Ed
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely middle English is spoken in the Midlands and "What's up duck?" just has to be quintessential.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm based in London, and have lived in many parts of the UK before, including oop nurth, so I'm qualified enough to know that it doesn't matter where you're from, you probably can't find a team of people that all speak in an intelligible accent.

'Daan saaf', well 'saaf east' anyway, everyone's got that disgusting esturine twang and the youngsters are speaking in that thickie accent that's supposed to be hard 'from da street init?'.

For this reason alone I wanted to bring in the dunce hat. If they're going to speak 'fick' and 'chew da breeze blud' with my customers then they're going to have to have intensive communications training. They have good qualifications (well, from old Polys) and come from decent families yet they conspire to destroy their chances of being taken seriously.

Having said that, the best analyst I've had was a Scouser and had an amazing work ethic. Trouble is... no one had a clue what he was saying, it was just a shower of phlegm punctuated by the word, sorry, sound "Emmmm'. After a couple of beers I couldn't even pick that out.

Diarmid - No, I'm not Scottish and do ever plan to be so! I just thought 'Glasgow Tan' was a well known expression.

(Beige badge)
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UrgentJensen wrote:
Diarmid - No, I'm not Scottish and do ever plan to be so!

Never mind. You cannot expect to be fortunate in all things.
William Penn 1644-1718
UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. That should be:

No, I'm not Scottish and DON'T ever plan to be so!

Good grief, maybe it was a freudian slip and I really do yearn to be Scottish... nah!

News just in - I've devised something called a tongue clamp to fix speech. I will be selling it through my consultancy website and er, selected adult shops in Soho.

(Beige badge)
Skinnera
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd only employ SD staff who sounded like Brian Sewell.

Not for clarity of communication, just for the cabaret value.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: