Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: SVancouve
New Today: 16
New Yesterday: 75
Overall: 142310

People Online:
Visitors: 71
Members: 2
Total: 73 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Problem Management Inputs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem Management Inputs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
entivo

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Problem Management Inputs Reply with quote

Section 6.2 (p95) of the blue book lists one of the inputs of Problem Management as "Configuration details from the CMDB".

What does this mean?
kinger
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem Management Inputs Reply with quote

entivo wrote:
Section 6.2 (p95) of the blue book lists one of the inputs of Problem Management as "Configuration details from the CMDB".

What does this mean?

Surely this is a straight forward understanding?

The whole point of having a CMDB is to understand relationships, I don't do problem management, but keeping it simple, I'm assuming you can help do some root cause analysis in some instances using the information you have stored within your CMDB.

The CMDB will have some sort of feed into every Service Management function as it tends to be the Service aManagement tool that almost all the other fucktions revolve around. I know this has been changed for V3, however it certianly will be considered an important input to Problem Management.
troy23

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CMDB should hold information about the CI's, e.g. incident and change records as well as the relationships with other CIs. All of which are very useful for problem management trending. E.g. a certain change to the CI, or a change to a related CI, both of could cause incidents. Definitely making trending and problem analysis a lot easier!!
Brian1

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two cents here... I am just beginning to develop the PM process at our organization and I recently presented the following inputs as part of the scope for our process.

Reactive:
1. Major incidents
2. Incidents as a result of Change (failed change)
3. Incidents as a aresult of Project (failed project)
4. Customer complaints (yes this is part of problem management)

Proactive:
1. Incident ticket trends
2. Change ticket trends
3. process trends
4. CMDB (use data mining efforts to identify trends or anamoloies about your CI's - physical and logical)

Hope this helps.
asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brian,

I agree with your post, and I think you've given an excellent example.

However, I'm just concern about "process trend" being one of the proactive PM inputs. Could you describe furthermore what you meant with it?

Cheers,
Asril
Brian1

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you have implemented a process it is important to supplement the process with continuous improvement. One of the things I am doing with problem management is to analyze these requests to understand what is being asked for and why so that this can be used as input to processes yet to be developed. I am also looking to understand our willingness to change (i.e. how many requests were accepted, why were they accepted or why were they not?) One of the great things about proactive problem management is that you are essentially data mining to identify trends and issues that are not readily apparent. I believe problem management (the proactive part) can quantitatively teach us a lot about how we operate as a business, information which senior management can use to affect strategic change to better the IS organization.

Hope this helps explain.
asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,

I see.
Well, as you've mantioned "process trends", I assumed that ITIL processes were included, while the processes improve themselves as they run. I mean there are lessons learned in each process reviews.
Other processes also have their ways to improve like using the TQM.

I just don't want process owners to develop a habit of thinking "Oh, we have the proactive problem management who takes care of improvement so let them do it". Funny, isn't it?

Cheers,
Asril
Brian1

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Asril,

Agreed. It is not Problem Management's role, responsibility or accountability for leading continuous improvement. If you are a v2 ITIL shop then it is up to each process manager to manage this on their own and if you are v3 ITIL shop then continuous improvement is a foundation process and this process will enable a consistent approach and application of continuous improvement that can be monitored and audited if needed.

Now all that said, for problem management, we are interested in the data created by continuous improvement so that it can be analyzed as I mentioned before.

Thanks for helping me clarify this point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Problem Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: