Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: IILFlora
New Today: 30
New Yesterday: 62
Overall: 142005

People Online:
Visitors: 72
Members: 4
Total: 76 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Merit of attending ITSMF conference?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Merit of attending ITSMF conference?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Training & ITSM Conferences
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomOzITIL
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Merit of attending ITSMF conference? Reply with quote

Folks,

Does anyone have an opinion about the value of attending ITSMF conferences? I'm based in Australia and I expect that various chapters offer varying quality conferences. Yes, I have a local membership but have mainly used it to buy some books thusfar.

I've been to my share of Gartner conferences as delegate, exhibiter and speaker. I expect this is much smaller and more focused - but your experience in calibre of speakers and attendees?

Look forward to feedback.
m_croon
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Netherlands Reply with quote

Hi Tom,

Here in the Netherlands, we just had our itSMF Academy yesterday. This is a relatively small event (there were aprox. 300 people). I was there as a speaker, and apart from talking about itil v3, it was nice to meet a bunch of people that I hadn't talked to for 2-3 years.

There are other itSMF events here in NL, ranging from the spring congress (aprox. 800 people, 1 day) and the Fall-congress (2 days, 800-900 people) to small seminars, CIO event etc.

Topics here in the Netherlands are various, certainly not only re. ITIL. (but also: MOF, ASL, BiSL, ISOxxxx(x), tooling, ABC (Attitude, Behaviour, Culture - Human Factor), project mgt etc.). We have had international speakers on various occasions (in oktober, there will be an event with almost 100 speakers).

The value of attending these events for me is to gain new insights on various topics and to meet up with colleagues and customers.

Cheers,

Michiel
TomOzITIL
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until 3 months ago we worked for the same company (Australian subsidiary was sold off). I found you on the global address book.

small world. Smile
m_croon
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom,

It's a pleasure to meet you and a shame we didn't meet earlier. From the vast knowledge and experience that speaks from your posts, I should have known we used to be colleagues Laughing
FGD
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: The ones I attended Reply with quote

I attended some conferences set up by our ITSMF chapters, both local and national. The quality of the presentations varied, but in smaller ones (50 people or less), it's always possible to discuss with the speaker afterwards, and it's when it gets more interesting, if the topic is of some interest to you. Another benefit is to connect with people into ITIL.
The national conference had lots of vendors too, which might be useful to get product demonstrations (even though this is usually limited to checking out the UI, as sales reps will always tell you that their product supports all of your needs...)
I'm more inclined to attend the local meetings in the future myself.
LDV60

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
I'm lucky enough to have the QLD State ITSMF chapter meetings at my workplace. (in our auditoriums)
They're a great event where you get to see and hear about real world implementations big and small.
They're also are really good mechanism to assist with networking.
I'm planning on attending the national conference in Canberra for the same reason.
itilimp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've attended itSMF conferences and seminars in the UK only and I've found them, on the whole, to be very informative and helpful in making me think about things/approaches that I may not otherwise. Not sure I'd fly half way around the world for one though given that you can download the presentations on the website and then follow up with the speakers from there. I guess it comes down to budgets Smile
TomOzITIL
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know what you mean. With buying the v3 books and the v3 mgrs bridge course this year an extra few grand for the conference might be stretching the budget.
DYbeach
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The local forums are good for networking especially if you are the only change/problem etc manager. Don't know if I would spring for a national conference as well as losing a few days' income. Escpecially if it's in Canberra Laughing
PMI CAPM (R)

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Training & ITSM Conferences All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: