Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: ABurchfie
New Today: 169
New Yesterday: 202
Overall: 130733

People Online:
Visitors: 157
Members: 3
Total: 160 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - First Time Resolution
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Time Resolution

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wideawake

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: First Time Resolution Reply with quote

Just about to implement First Time Resolution (FTR) onto my desk but wanted to ask about the time period that you may have used with your own FTR.
I have a technical desk, PC’s Printers’ Standard Software etc with about 40 calls per day. I have 2 x Service Desk Analysts who will be providing FTR and a Senior Analyst in the escalation position. So my question is how long would you set as the target for resolving the FTR before escalation. My thoughts were 0 – 5 minutes but that seems short for the full incident cycle but if both my Service Desk Analysts were on calls for the full period you would be waiting in the Queue for 10 minutes before your call was answered.

All thoughts welcome.

Wideawake
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wideawake,

do you distinguish between incidents that the first line staff do not have the skill/knowledge capability to resolve and those which they do not have time to resolve? there is a difference between five minutes steady progress and five minutes searching for understanding. Or to put it the other way, would you take someone off an incident when they are two minutes from resolution and then have someone else start all over again?

Your figure of ten minutes queue time (if each call takes five minutes to resolve) does not kick in until effectively five people raise a call at the same time. your average call rate seems to be about one call every 12 minutes. But you really need to know what the peaks are to determine queue times.

I don't think anyone can give you advice on what times to use, because you have to know what is acceptable to your organization and you have to calculate what that means in terms of staff time. There are other complications such as how many calls are for the same incident? how many calls will be outside the skills of your front line? How do you prioritize resolution activity?
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Wideawake

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: First Time Resolution Reply with quote

Thanks for your advise. All points taken, however, (and this is the difficult part) the organisation is not (and will not) state what’s acceptable, and thus this is an internally driven event. (the phrase “we are where we are is the one that the organisation use) (so you can see the cultural issue I face).
I think I will concentrate on percentage of Incidents fixed on FTR rather than the time that it takes to do them and adjust accordingly as we progress.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: