Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: LMullet
New Today: 41
New Yesterday: 62
Overall: 142016

People Online:
Visitors: 79
Members: 0
Total: 79

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - steps to implement new service desk
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

steps to implement new service desk

View previous topic :: View next topic  
serria

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: steps to implement new service desk Reply with quote

Hi, Iam a new service desk manager Very Happy and but I am still in the foundation level Confused (green badge ITILv2and 3, and ISO IEC 20000 foundation certified), so I really need your help and experience to put the new service desk in place.

I would like to know the steps for implementing ITIL within my service desk?

with what of these should I start ?
-definning all the stakeholder (is this a part of the service catalogue Question ),
-the service catalogue ,
-documenting the processes and procedures for all the service requests as creating a new account,
-documenting the processes and procedures for all the incident types as printer not printing
- incident priority matrix
- definnig SLA
- escaltion matrix
-Known error database

if I forgot something please advice.

Thanks
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

is this a theory question or a reality question?

First off what are the drivers for needing a desk?
What money do you have to spend on this?
What type of desk do you want - a catch and dispatch or a high level of first contact resolutions?
Is this a new desk or can you use resources from an existing desk etc. etc. - just some not in the book ideas to think about.
UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serria,

I think it's great that you want to introduce some ITIL to your Desk. As Mark has already written you must clarify a lot more about the scope and constraints of the project before folks here can give you more useful guidance.

Please also remember that it's also impossible for us to know what your environment is actually like so, if you get somewhat generic info or questions to think about, apply them from your perspective and they should be useful.

Good luck,

UJ

(Beige badge)
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in addition, who are going to be served by this service desk

All users .. ie IT Help(less) Desk
A Specific Service - A Network Service Desk or a Application Support service desk

These tool would have an impact on any decision

Also, why are YOU being the one tasked with this action

Areyou the only one in the company who can spell ITIL without giving the IT as the starting point
Are there any other people that you can work with (Manager's certicated people)
Is there a Problem mgmt, incident mgmt etc etc process in place

And lastly, While we can give good and sometimes pointless advice

see the following

Are you going to hire dogs - hint no scottish terriers - their brogue is too thick; cats or chipmunks... survey says chipmunks are cheapers.. they work for peanuts

========================

It is not the same thing as hiring a consultant and getting quality advice for a price

Here it is free and like most things that are free....

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serria,

I'm not sure what you mean by "within my service desk". So I'm going to be a bit pedantic. I'm going to change your statement to

'applying good service management practice to the running of the service desk, referring to ITIL for guidance'

That still leaves a question: is the rest of the IT service organization going to be doing the same. If so then there ought to be a project in place which will plan and design an implement best practice service management in a co-ordinated way (including the service desk function and my following advice would be best ignored or translated to the bigger picture.

Assuming you are starting from scratch in terms of understanding best practice, you must first build the foundation:

1. You need to establish an agreed policy and strategy for the service desk. This will define its role and its relationship to other service management functions.

2. You need to define basic service desk procedures such as how will you answer calls how will you record calls, how will you ensure that calls are dealt with by appropriate technicians, etc. This will lead to considerations of priorities, categories, etc. It will also lead to considerations of software and how to configure it or if that is already in place you will need to work out how to make it bend to your requirements.

3. you need to identify what service and infrastructure information is available to you, find out how reliable it is and determine how to ensure it remains reliable. This will lead to considerations of a service catalogue and a CMDB and of SLAs.

4. You need to decide how you (or rather your business) will measure the performance of the service desk. This will also lead to considerations of priorities and categories (so you can see these steps must run in parallel).

5. You need to consider what training is required for service desk and related staff. So skill sets must map to the scope defined by the policy.

6. You need to establish a continuous improvement regime, review processes and audit processes. This can be used initially to build all the good detailed procedures like "service requests as creating a new account" and "all the incident types as printer not printing" which, if you started with would have left you struggling with a piecemeal system.

don't meddle with priority matrices until you understand what you are prioritizing. Don't set up any SLAs until you understand and can control your capacity. Etc.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all due respect to fellow posters, I'd like to provide my opinion from a bit different perspective.

Serria,
If we refer to ITIL, the Service Desk's main function is as the SPOC, between users and what? Related processes that handle the contact.
What I wanted to say is that the first thing you need to do is to ask is all the processes in place? Service Desk would be the last after, at least, IM and PM are in place. Otherwise you will be no more than a help desk.

Referring your points.
-definning all the stakeholder (is this a part of the service catalogue Question ),
-the service catalogue, this is the Service Level Management's task
-documenting the processes and procedures for all the service requests as creating a new account, I think this is the Incident Management's task
-documenting the processes and procedures for all the incident types as printer not printing, also the Incident Management's task
- incident priority matrix, Incident Management's task
- definnig SLA, for customers, it's the Service Level Management's task, internally it's each process's task
- escaltion matrix, Incident Management's task
-Known error database, Problem Management's task.

None of the above shows any task of the Service Desk to setup.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers,
Asril
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asril,

you are broadly correct. But only in the context of an organization which is mature in its service management, and I suspect that this is not the case in serria's organization.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diarmid,

I guess you're right.
But that will mean a lot of burden on Serria's shoulder.
Worth as the ITIL champion of his company Cool

Cheers,
Asril
serria

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Diarmid, this is exactly what I was looking for .Also, you are right my company doen't have any ITIL process in place , they speak about a change and problem management processes that are not clearly defined and not followed.

I have been hired to supervise, let say an IT service desk of 5 persons(wich were already there)to support all the company of 1000 users without any ITIL process in place. the company purchased Axios Assyst as tool, why exactly this one I don't know, I think it is a matter of budget (I wasn't hired yet).

We will train all the staff, define the incident,problem and change management processes and the SLA in the first stage.make the SD up and running with the ITIL processes.
After we will go through the others.

I am afaid that I am the only Mr ITIL within the company.So, I have too much to do !!!!

Cheers,
m_croon
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

serria wrote:

After we will go through the others.

Hi Mr. ITIL Very Happy

Now this puzzles me. What do you mean with 'the others'? I assume that these would be other ITIL processes? Now what would be your business driver to 'just' implement all or several ITIL processes? Have you and your company thought about this? ITIL is a means, not a goal.

Regards,

Michiel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: