Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: cpgoukut46
New Today: 90
New Yesterday: 154
Overall: 130988

People Online:
Visitors: 67
Members: 4
Total: 71 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Problem Management - Business Case
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem Management - Business Case

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rachael

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Problem Management - Business Case Reply with quote

Question I am new to problem management and I am trying to get problems resourced. I am putting together a business case document to justify why I need the resource and wondered if anyone can help.

So far I've got

Problem Description
This should cover
Current Problem
Current workaround (if any)
Known Error?

Request for Resource
This should cover
Reasons why resource is needed as soon as possible
Current impact to business / customers / users
Current Costs year to date?
Staff time costs
Current Risks
Any current RFC’s?

Benefits
This should cover
Benefits to the business / customers / users
Overall cost reduction to year end

Implications of not resourcing this Problem
This should cover
Effects to the business / customers / users
Risks
Overall costs to year end

Has anyone a business case form in place and if so, what else considered when justifying the need for resource?
Thanks in advance
FGD
Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: No real answer, more questions rather... Reply with quote

I don't have such a form in place, so my reply might be of little worth.
Will you have to present a business case before investigating any type of problem, and should the info you collect be the basis for the RFC? Because if you get the funding for investigating the root cause of multiple incidents, but do not get the funding for implementing a definitive solution, the ROI of the problem investigation is small.
Rachael

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I have is, it is really difficult to get a Developers time due to them working on current projects and other work.
I am needing a business case to justify why an investigation is needed urgently due to the effect on the business.

The majority of my problems a fix does need to be put in place and it would only be for these cases a business case would be used.
FGD
Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The impact analysis of this particular problem seems to be the most important element; let's wait for more expert opinions.
m_croon
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rachael,

I might misinterpret your post, but it seems to me that you are attempting to use a business case solely (?) per case/problem. With this business case you try to claim resources for a particular problem. Now, don't get me wrong: it is a good idea (in fact: very necessary) to have an impact analysis for every problem.

Yet, what about management commitment for problem management? Does management approve of this process in general? That should make it easier for you to claim resources (I know organisations where a certain percentage of resources is in fact reserved for problem management).

Also, try to use those facilities / procedures which are already in place to your benefit. So, instead of re-inventing the wheel, see if you can use tooling, procedures and information that is available in other processes to assist you.

Regards,

Michiel
asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am with the others.
I mean business case would be easy to make up.
If you really want to develop a business case, then I would suggest to use the Benefit/Cost Ratio, unless you need to make investments. In this case ROI would be appropriate.

But the substance is that a problem needs to be fix, and to fix a problem would need resources. IMO it's just as simple as that, without disregarding impacts whatsoever.
I think by making commitment to problem management, your management should be aware about this kind of thing, and ease the way to fit in the problem resolution time.

Cheers,
Asril
Brian1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Michiel makes a very valid point and one that you need to confirm. In the ideal world part of people's operational duties should be some time directed to incident reduction activites. If your management team does not support this and has chosen to treat resource allocation equal to project work then you may want to use the business case template for projects rather than create your own. I am suggesting this only because as a former manager we are not very good at comparing apples to oranges. Buy someone lunch from your PMO who is liked and well respected. That way when people ask why you are using their form you can repsond by saying I'm using what works for our comapny. they will appreciate it and it will save you time. Also, because you have to go through this process (which can be time consuming) I would suggest narrowing your scope so that you have less to submit.

Hope this is helpful.
Brian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Problem Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: