Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: KYcu
New Today: 14
New Yesterday: 70
Overall: 146113

People Online:
Visitors: 59
Members: 0
Total: 59

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - CMDB with Change Management
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CMDB with Change Management

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OhioScott
Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: CMDB with Change Management Reply with quote

I was taught that the CMDB should be supported by your Change Management tool. This was interpreted as meaning that those elements that you wanted to control in the CMDB should be updated via the Change Management tool. For example, if a network printer was deemed a CI, and a key artifact for control was the IP address, the IP address would be change via the Change process, so that the update to the CMDB for the artifact would come from the Change tool.

First... is this the same understanding of others?

Second... providing this understanding is correct, why don't today's tools support this activity?

I've yet to see any Change tool that supports this level of integration with the CMDB. One of the biggest issues I've run into with the two attempted Configuration Management implementations has been the fact that maintaining the CMDB becomes an additional manual chore that management gives up on.

Any suggestions?
UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

The premise of the question is irrelevant unless tools are capable of doing that in the first place. Look at the reality of the cmdb, it's more likely to be federated meaning you would need your Change tool to be able to change config back 'up stream' to many sources.

I haven't come across a system that can do that yet so this means the strenght of your process is even more significant.

Cheers,

UJ

(Beige badge)
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall my ITIL, it said nothing about tools. It said processes should be linked.

The incident process should only be applied to CIs that are in the CMDB so that you only do trouble calls on authorized etc.

Change & Release mgmt process should be applied to the CIs in the CMDB so thta etc

while this implies tools, it does not directly refer to tools because then you can get to the many cackles of which tool and how

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
OhioScott
Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the feedback from both of you and have valued both your comments in the past to various posts.

I'm comfortable with my process integration design and that a CMDB is a federation of data repositories. My struggle is with with the inability to automate components of the integration between Change and Config.

My thought is that a tool should be able to support the basic interaction between Change and Config at least to the extent of the source data that establishes 1) identification of the CI, 2) its status relative to the production environment, and 3) its relationship to business services. To me this would form the basis for the relationships to the other data repositories of the CMDB.

To me this no different than the establishment of a customer profile with the initiation of a financial transaction. I would do this for a business operation, so why not for an IT operation?

Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on this basic level of support between process activities?
UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Scott, so if I understand right, you're basically talking about automatically updating some sort of 'headline' information, e.g. Server status = 'on' or off', Printer ABC123 = 3rd Floor, or account X = 'active' or 'inactive'.

That kind of thing?

UJ

(Beige badge)
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my mind, the CMDB is a reference tool.

Autodiscovery tools and auto configuration control tools - should be used to confirm . verify and validate the existing information in the CMDB

These tools should not auto-populate the CMDB as then you get a lot of specious data.

The CMDB should changed / updated only when the CHange request has been processed for the change

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fundamental necessity of the CMDB is to be 'one true source' of information. This suggests maintain, where possible, one point of access for data change.

If you find a tool that can do this via a change management console, and with a 100% guarantee then please let me know!

UJ

(Beige badge)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Configuration Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: