Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: MWellman
New Today: 38
New Yesterday: 92
Overall: 141382

People Online:
Visitors: 69
Members: 4
Total: 73 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Reboot - it serves me right!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reboot - it serves me right!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reboot - it serves me right! Reply with quote

First off this is really John's fault, as you will all agree. But how many ITIL lessons can be learned?

JH mentioned professional networking; so I googled (it was either that or go straight to linkedin). And there he was - dotcom.

Nice piano music; so I left it running and went to linkedin. My PC crashed.

Reboot.

Nothing else I can do. For the sticklers among you it does serve as a print server for other PCs in the house, but that is irrelevant in this case.

Firefox applied its upgrade on load. It had warned me earlier. Okay just a slight delay.

Oh no!

Because of its upgrade, it did not restore my sessions. Half a dozen job prospects I might never find again. I might never get a job now.

Talk about unplanned, unavoidable change with hazardous business recovery.

Maybe I should run two machines for resilience?

Maybe I shouldn't listen to JH.

For sure reboots are dangerous.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the Dark Lord of the Si(x)th strikes without warning

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Diarmid,

Reading your post, if I'm not mistaken, reboot was an impact - not the main thing.
I agree that rebooting has risk but in your case, you can't put the blame on rebooting, because it's the only thing you can do with your crashed PC.

I feel sorry for the lost job prospects, there must be a way to recover your FD to retrieve the lost documents. Don't give up, mate!

Cheers,
Asril
pel
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is diarmids own fault.
He should have anticipated that his PC would eventually crashed and as a result of this humble risk analysis he should have eastablished a procedure or designed a software to take snapshots of his sessions every time a tab changed.

Either that, or he could simply use the history to study his outstanding web surfing skills in order to backtrack these (possibly) fantastic job prospects.
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diarmid

There may be a way to get back your lost data - google for software called On track - this is superbe at recovering lost data even from 'deleted' data. the only requirement is that it has not had too many overwrites on the disk - starting to sound a bit geeky now - sorry!! Smile

Ed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: