Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: EB06
New Today: 11
New Yesterday: 74
Overall: 131845

People Online:
Visitors: 35
Members: 4
Total: 39 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ģ ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - ITIL Prep Course and Exam in August 08
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ITIL Prep Course and Exam in August 08

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Training & ITSM Conferences
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PlanoITIL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: ITIL Prep Course and Exam in August 08 Reply with quote

I just located this forum site about 30 mins ago and found it very informative (best yet). I actually just learned about ITIL v3 about 15 days ago and it paralleled my IT and Business beliefs. So you can say it was a ďcallingĒ when I read up on this certification.

Iíve been in IT for about 13 years, so the connection between IT and Business Leaders is and always has been a focus. Itís the first thing I preach when I mentor Junior Project Managers.

Anyway, Iíve decided to fork out the $1,600 for the 2.5 day course and exam (ITIL v3 Foundation), out of my own pocket (tax deduction). But, since I donít have a money tree in my backyard, I need to pass the exam on the first try.

Iíve talked to the school and a couple of instructors. They say there would be no prep work for the course and by the time I finish the course, Iíll be well prepared for the exam. They recommend 1 hour of studying each day after the class to ensure passing. That seems too easy.

Now, Iíve seen conflicting postings (not from this forum) stating the exam was some what easy, while here, I see some postings saying itís not as easy as advertised. Iím looking and hoping the exam will be difficult. Difficult enough that ďBobĒ off the street just canít show up and pass the exam, but not as difficult as the CCNA (Cisco) exam.

You now know my background, below are the areas I need help with.

1. What do I need or can I do before the class starts to ensure Iím ahead of the game?
2. Will the class actually prepare me for the exam as much as they say?
3. What area(s) do I need to focus on right away for the course and exam?
4. Are ITIL job responsibilities a huge focus on the exam?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

I would like to find out if the ITIL v3 Foundation certificate had a huge ROI? Iíve heard people only needing the foundation certificate and it paid back well there. Iíve also heard the significant payback doesnít happen till you get to the Practioner and/or Manager level. Any feed back here?

Sorry about the long posting. Iíve missed any question and would like to fill them in, please do so to help not only myself, but others getting ready to take the course and/or exam.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong forum to start ... but thats ok.

First off. Welcome.
Second. Taking the exam w/o reading the 5 yes five books will probably be harder than reading the books prior to the course.

Third. ITIL is merely the applciation of best practice in the workings of IT for a business. This means for me - good documentation

ROI ? for ITIL. Dont know if any of the ITIL Certification has a ROI. Same that goes for any of the certification paths

I know of system and network engineers who can configure / support large systems and networks yet = they dont take the time to get the certifications -

I also know of certified CCNA, MCSE etc who have passed every exam in the world and got every little certification but have no real world experience

So the ROI on ITIL depends on you and how you apply ITIL in your world. The certification is merely the icing on the cake

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
PlanoITIL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the feedback. I originally posted my questions under the certification forum, but received an email stating it was under the incorrect forum and it was moved here.

I have the 5 books now and will start to read them. Can I just be familiar with the material or do I need to study them hard and pretty much know the material like the back of my hand?

Thanks again for the quick response.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Training & ITSM Conferences All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: