Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: DCohen
New Today: 41
New Yesterday: 64
Overall: 148294

People Online:
Visitors: 54
Members: 4
Total: 58 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - SAM and Service Desk Offering
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SAM and Service Desk Offering

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zoe41
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: SAM and Service Desk Offering Reply with quote

Folks

I am looking at service desk tools and tools for software asset management / licence / contract management.

I am of the opinion at the moment that the current service desk offerings don't adequately manage software licences.

I appreciate I am being a bit vague here in that I haven't said what my requirements are.

But generally is there anyone who is able to adequately manage their license management position using the off the shelf products which come with a service desk offering as opposed to going for a stand alone software license tool.

Regards

Zoe
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...turning blue in the face....

NOTE: I have held my breath waiting for a tool that does all that I require

Some tools can barely do IM badly let alone well

There are probably tools that can do 1 of the three works that you wish but not all three

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
zoe41
Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s what I thought. What have you done have you got a compromise or have you installed separate tools. I think the obvious problem is that you can't have a single view of the world from one source. Previously the mechanism I used was to manage licences / contracts outside of the service desk environment. eg not part of the service desk tool. It did mean that I couldn't click on the button and see what the relationship was between that bit of infrastructure and any licences or contracts. But I would have to assume that they were in place due to the controls in other areas. No single source of truth. Is that familiar? Zoe
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point of time... I dont track contracts at all

-- this is what i would do -- not currently using my own method in current role but I have

From a monitor/monitor tool point of view

Check to see if you have a asset component to your tools
check to see if there are any dates associated with assets
If so, see if there is a control date / expiry date for the data

use that for

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
TomAMaskell

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:54 am    Post subject: Hard to find Reply with quote

Hi Zoe,

It may appear that many organisations have asset management capabilities but many are referring to asset registars. They are often mis-sold.

As I know, Touchpaper use LANDesk Asset Management as an asset management tool on top of an Asset registar. they are now part of the same group Avocent hence this relationship.

Get in touch if you are interested further.

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: