Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: KDarringt
New Today: 20
New Yesterday: 55
Overall: 148142

People Online:
Visitors: 78
Members: 2
Total: 80 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Web based ITSM tools
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Web based ITSM tools

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Timo
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Web based ITSM tools Reply with quote

Hi,

I am pretty sure it has been asked before (and probably more than once), but I can never figure out the search engine on this site and my searches always come up empty.

Anyway, can you folks suggest some ITSM web based solutions I can take a look at to conduct further research. I am putting a list of options for a client of ours for and would like to evaluate a few tools against their requirements.

As the most basic requirement the tools needs to be able to support and fully integrate between 5 support processes and SLM. Unfortunately cost is one of the biggest considerations for the client so functional requirements are rather an "entrepreneurial" concept and will change based on how much things cost.

Thanks in advance.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timo,

why do you think this site/forum would provide that sort of information as a rule.

There are tools out there - some crap at some processes, some crap at a lot of processes, all usually require effort to make it work for you

Check HDI (help desk institute)

You first should get your processes down - policy process procedure w/o referring to any tools

Then look to a Internet search - not just a search on this web site

In addition, I am pretty sure... if you look at topic headers, there are several dozen posts / threads about tools

That being said.... remember, you get what you paid for.

If you want cheap / inexpensive tool. dont expect it to every thing you need

The only person i know who is tool centric is Frank - but that is because he heads up a tool company. He posts about ITIL and while he does reference his tool...he is not shill nor advertising - boasting maybe (grin)

Frabk may want to chip but.. if you find any of his posts - you get his web site

My co-hort and I developed web based tools - change, incident, problem, config but our 'little foray' in on hiatus as both need to work full time while we play.

Change was the first tool - we want to call it Change Request Admin Program but we are having issuing marketing the tool by the acronym
The SD tool - Problem Incident Support System - also is having marketing issues based on its acronym
The CMDB like tool - Configuration & Asset Register System - seemed like a good name but it is more a robby reliant or Mini(60s) than a Volvo
my little advertising / plug - Blue Web Software is the company but it is very inactive - at the moment.

You need to make sure what ever you do that the tool matches the documented processes (80% ) not the other way round

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
m_croon
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Web based ITSM tools Reply with quote

Timo wrote:
but I can never figure out the search engine on this site and my searches always come up empty.

Hi Timo,

The same happened to me, untill I found that there are in effect 2 search options on the forum, one to be chosen in the left column of the screen (underneath Modules), and one in the forum.

The first one obviously returns no results, the second one does.

In answer to your question: I totally agree with John. In addition to his info: you might want to google for 'toolselector'. The site you'll find contains a search option (as on this forum, not quite easy to handle IMO Wink ) and can be used for a preliminary selection (longlist / shortlist) based on broad criteria.

Regards,

Michiel
Timo
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKVIKING wrote:

You need to make sure what ever you do that the tool matches the documented processes (80% ) not the other way round

Thanks for reply, John. Believe me, you are preaching to the converted here. The selection options I am looking at are for a client and after 2 months of negotiations, discussions, politics, and hitting head against the wall - we need to know the tool before the processes are defined. That's the current state and this is what I have to work with.

Thanks for the tips though.

Cheers.
Timo
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Web based ITSM tools Reply with quote

m_croon wrote:
Timo wrote:
but I can never figure out the search engine on this site and my searches always come up empty.

In answer to your question: I totally agree with John. In addition to his info: you might want to google for 'toolselector'. The site you'll find contains a search option (as on this forum, not quite easy to handle IMO Wink ) and can be used for a preliminary selection (longlist / shortlist) based on broad criteria.

Regards,

Michiel

Neat site, I never ran into it before. Thank you!
Doober
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timo wrote:

Thanks for reply, John. Believe me, you are preaching to the converted here. The selection options I am looking at are for a client and after 2 months of negotiations, discussions, politics, and hitting head against the wall - we need to know the tool before the processes are defined. That's the current state and this is what I have to work with.

Makes perfect sense. I can see why you'd want to talk with people experienced in rolling out multiple tools. The problem with reality is the sales side of many vendors just don't know their tools. Barring that they'll look you straight in the eye and lie to you about the tool's capability. With so many voices out there saying "oh yeah, our tool does that process" one can't be blamed for seeking the advice of people who have "been there, done that" with many of the tools out there, and don't let anyone beat you up about it.

If you're still looking for specific vendors, a nice up and comer is Service Now. They've rebuilt their tool from scratch (unlike most vendors today still chained to decades old design concepts and databases). You needn't take it from me though. They can get you your own demo system in less than a business day, and you can see for yourself how flexible and maleable it is.
JoePearson
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Web based ITSM tools Reply with quote

m_croon wrote:
Timo wrote:
The same happened to me, untill I found that there are in effect 2 search options on the forum, one to be chosen in the left column of the screen (underneath Modules), and one in the forum.

The first one obviously returns no results, the second one does.

A little light thread necromancy ... Smile

If you ever struggle with built-in search on a forum, just try google with the site: parameter. For example, a google search for "figure out the search engine site:www.itilcommunity.com" returns posts in this thread: http://www.google.com/search?q=figure%20out%20the%20search%20engine%20site%3Awww.itilcommunity.com
m_croon
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnx Joe Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: