Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: AMoseley
New Today: 43
New Yesterday: 71
Overall: 146143

People Online:
Visitors: 61
Members: 2
Total: 63 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - CMMI and ITIL
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CMMI and ITIL
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZWM

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:02 am    Post subject: CMMI and ITIL Reply with quote

My company is currently using CMMI, but we're looking into ITIL as well. Does anyone have any information on the relationships between the two, mapping, etc.?
mcardinal
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try doing a web search on Service Maturity Model. There is at least one whitepaper available. It will help you tie the two together.

My own belief is that CMM and ITIL are two different perspectives on the same journey to achieve quality and customer satisfaction. Not so much mapping, as intersection along two different axis.

Hope this helps

Michael
nuker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITIL decribes processes
CMM decribes the maturity of processes

So you can use CMM to control the maturity of your ITIL procrsses. But you can not use CMM (in its original sense) to describe your processes.

Wallop

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a Google search on this individual, Dr. Ralf Kneuper, CMMi Consultant . He has done some rather good work on how CMMi and ITIL work together. I did a presentation to my fellow IT Managers/Directors and we focused on how these two methodoligies can work together. As an FYI, CMMi is much further along than ITIL in our organization and one of our concerns was confusing the organization with similiar terms.

Will be happy to send you a slide with a graphic showing how they relate. it is what I was able to understand based on Dr. Ralf Kneuper's work.
AZWM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be great if you could send me what you did. Your company seems to be in a similar position as what I'm in. Thanks a lot! My email is alissa.zience@baesystems.com
PICKINI

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: CMMI and ITIL Reply with quote

My company is trying to implement COBIT, CMMI and ITIL and I have been tasked with looking at the CMMI and ITIL overlap. I would therefore be grateful if you would also send me a copy of your slide.

Many thanks

my email address is PICKINI@norwich-union.co.uk
Wallop

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email sent to both of you requesting the material. Please ensure the gentelman I referenced is given credit...not me.

thanks
Mushtaqrehman

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could I have a copy of the slide too?

Thanks,

Mushtaq mushtaqur@hotmail.com
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wallop,

If it's not too much trouble, I would appreciate a copy, as well.

Regards,
MCABELLO

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wallop,

My company is trying to implement CMMI and ITIL.

How could we integrating both ?

Could I have a copy of the slide too?

Many thanks

email: mcabelre@cajamadrid.es
Azard
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wallop, I would also like a copy, if it is not trouble.

thanks

email: aomardeen@cportalinc.com
Barbara

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Slide Reply with quote

Wallop, if it is not too late, would you send me a copy of the slide as well as I am in the position of having to decide whether to use either ITIL, CMMI or both. Thanks. My email is barbara.embry@convergnet.com

Regards,
Barbara
Curly

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: CMMI & ITIL Reply with quote

Barbara, I'd be interested to see how your investigation develops. Some of the early replies in this chain reflect my own experience in that CMMI and ITIL are different things and are difficult to compare. And it's not like comparing apples and pears, more like apples and umbrellas.

From what I understand, CMMI has a software engineering background and is therefore more easily aligned to a 'development' environment as opposed to ITIL, which is focussed on the operational/service/customer experience aspects of IT (and indeed non-IT if you wish).

Also, CMMI tends to be more prescriptive, whereas ITIL is a framework that an organisation can choose to adopt/adapt/ignore as befits its needs.

There will be some touch points between the two methodologies and, if you decide to embrace both, it will be important to identify those so that primacy and interfaces can be determined. I would suggest that any clashes in process and/or toolsets would only serve to undermine one or both of them.

Good luck!
rjp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curly, have a look at a document called:

The IT Service Capability Maturity Model

This is based on the Software CMM, but definitely covers the same 'landscape' as the ITIL. (And all through these ITIL-CMM discussions I have assumed people are talking about the ITSCMM, even if they have used the CMMI acronym - it's a benefit of the doubt thing Smile)

The material is freely available.

Look at www-dot-itservicecmm.dot.org
rjp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

addendum...

actually maybe I shouldn't have assumed. Anyone above, (or other readers), if you really are looking to map CMMI to ITIL and don't know about ITSCMM or haven't looked at it, do so. It'll save you a big smelly pile of work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Related Topics All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: