Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: QuinnKrake
New Today: 5
New Yesterday: 97
Overall: 149946

People Online:
Visitors: 45
Members: 4
Total: 49 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Configuration Management planning doubts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Configuration Management planning doubts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChasingSleep
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject: Configuration Management planning doubts Reply with quote

Hello guys,

First of all, let me give you the context: I am involved with a cfg and chg processes planning. Sponsorship is guaranteed, from the highest position of the division we are. The sequence of my work is: Assessment of current processes, definition of desired situation, draft of proposed processes and after approval, full documentation of both processes and implementation planning.

I have started to talk to some people, and some issues became clear. I am thinking of how to address them, and I would like to hear from you if you consider I am on the right path, your opinions, etc.

1) In a month, there will be a re-inventory of all desktops (about 300), and they want it to be done already under the new processes, so that data will not become "old" the day after. I think this is impossible. They think that, as the scope is limited to only the desktops (their decision, based on the fact that they are struggling to control desktops hw & sw), we can have at least a basic process for it. I still think it is a dead end. They don't. What to do? Is that possible at all? Anyone here with such a case?

2) The inventory control process, the baseline from which I should start, includes procurement activities. I read in this forum that it is common sense not to mix cfg mgm with procurement. So I am thinking of focusing just on the cfg mgm process, and its interface with the current procurement activities. What do you think?
3) License control is a big issue here. They are really concerned with licenses currently used versus currently owned. They expect the cfg process to help them, i.e. the cmdb should have the ability to register both situations. I read in this forum that it is a tuff work to include license mgm under cfg process and cmdb umbrella. But I also read some interesting suggestions, like having a License CI, instead of just a SW CI. So I think there are people out there mixing cfg mgm with license control. So I would like to hear from you!

Sorry for the big post...

Thanks!
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My questions are as follows

Are you asking for advice or opinion ?

Opinions are free, advice is more like to be inline with consulting.

If you want our opinion on something tell what you are planning to do, we can provide an opinion - more than one

If you want advice, hire a consultant who has experience in implementing Best Practice in specific areas - usually those who hold Red Badges

I am unavailable for advice. I am available for my opinion

what i dont see anywhere in your post is what the current processes are
whether you have change release config or incident or even problem not even mentioning the service delivery (v2) processes

ITIL Best practice for CCR usually does not involve procurement. It usually deals with the INSTALLATION, configuration and support of the kit that purchased

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
ChasingSleep
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello UKVIKING,

I am asking for opinions. Sorry, I think my original post did miss some important information.

About the current process, this is a green field for ITIL processes. I mean, there are processes (not fully documented) for handling incidents and controlling inventory for example, but none of them were based on best practices like ITIL. Thats just the way thing are done today. And they want to do it better, so adapting current processes to ITIL best practices is the purpose of this project. And it has been already decided to start with cfg and chg mgm processes because they are the base for everything else.

As for my doubts, here is what I am thinking of doing, so you could give me your opinion:

1) I think we should just ignore the desktops re-inventory. They can do it, but it is not feasible to consider it under a new cfg process. Unless we completely change the scope of the project to initially "reinforce inventory control for the desktops assessment next month". Unfortunately, I am not in the situation to decide this, but I can suggest it. What do you think?

2) Ok, your opinion is the same as mine. We should not consider procurement for cfg process.

3) I think we could do license mgm under cfg mgm, but only if we could have a way to easily register and control it in a database. That is why I got interested in having a license CI with a relationship to a sw CI. Do you think this is a good approach?

Thanks!
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

advice & opinion rolled into 1

document your current processes

next, what is the exposure to ITIL V2 or V3 for yourself, yourmgmt and your team

None
can spell
FOundation
Practitioner
Manager's certificate

Look at the processes first

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi CS,

Got to agree with the Viking on this one.

Define the requirements for your process, i.e. what are the exact steps needed?

Agree the process with all and get sign off from the top man in your department.

Document and publish the process along with some re-training.

Audit the process at quartetly, 6 monthly or whenever you can intervals.

Remember, ITIL is not the entire solution to your process requirements, but it will give you some good ideas and it's OK(!) to take the bits you think work for you and leave the bits that don't.

UJ

(Beige badge)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Configuration Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: