Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: JFinn
New Today: 9
New Yesterday: 54
Overall: 146222

People Online:
Visitors: 60
Members: 1
Total: 61 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Problem Management and Change Without Incident ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem Management and Change Without Incident ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Problem Management and Change Without Incident ? Reply with quote

OK ....my company is a large multinational.

We use a global outsourced (catch and dispatch) call centre, with no skillsets, basically they take the call and route the ticket (if we are lucky).

We have change and problem management but I feel it is falling over because of the Call Centre !

Am i correct in thinking that if we had a Service Desk implemented (skilled), we would be able to drive problem and change management more effectively ???
tralfamadorian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, do NOT underestimate the power of the technically unskilled call center.
They might not be able to solve anything, but user satisfaction (which is a key success factor for the Service Desk) does not solely reply on the 1st line resolution rate. Users can accept (to a certain degree) that the operator is not able to solve their problem, but they can't accept patronizing operators, or operators using incomprehensible tech lingo.
Operators with both technical, empathical, and communicative skills are very rare. In my company we have a Service Desk staff with very strong technical skills, and most of them are absolutely useless when it comes to communicating with end users.
Our solution is a two-layer Service Desk. Layer 1 takes calls from end users and dispatches to layer 2 what they are not able to fix themselves. Layer 2 catches the balls forwarded from layer 1 AND takes calls from "super users".
This started working quite well when we forced the two layers to cooperate instead of fighting each other. Means to this end: Weekly manager meetings, exchange of staff.
I suggest you create a Layer 2 Service Desk within your own organization and give this function the full responsibility for end user support. They should be the owners of the Call Center outsourcing contract.
By having a Layer 2 Service Desk, the Call Center will have one and only one address for routing tickets. You will have a function with 1st hand knowledge of the efficiency of the Call Center. And you will have a function with immediate interest in handing over "FAQ-solutions" to the Call Center.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm....This was partly my thoughts aswell.....But can problem and change management survive without proper Incident management ?

I need this because I must go to Senior Management with the reasons for implementing a 2 level Service desk
ZRoth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
But can problem and change management survive without proper Incident management ?

your "incident management" hat does not need to be worn by your ticket takers. You can provide requirements for reporting that allow an analyst to perform the incident management function outside of the help desk and grow problem management over time.

Change Management can also live outside of the "help desk" too. It is not the best method but ticket takers can note examples against a change without being too involved in the CM process.

As long as your process is strong and sustainment teams subscribe/understand it, you can practice the model without tools while maintaining a low skilled desk.

Remember that best practice is only "best" until a model is implemented better suited to your business's need.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: