Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: R6075
New Today: 66
New Yesterday: 72
Overall: 143813

People Online:
Visitors: 54
Members: 4
Total: 58 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Abandon Call rate
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Abandon Call rate

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stanley_raj11

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Abandon Call rate Reply with quote

Hi All,

How do we can calculate the abandon call rate.

As per my understading:-
Abandon call rate = Total number of abandon calls/Total number of calls

Total number of calls - Should this include the abandon calls which Service desk Receives?

Any Suggestion?

Regards,
UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi stanley_raj11,

Yes it can be worked out as a simple percentage and that will give you an absolute value. Depending on what you're trying to achieve you may want to weight it with the number of available staff day to day etc.

Depends what you are looking to achieve with such a figure.

Cheers,

UJ

(Beige badge)
stanley_raj11

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the suggestion.

We are trying to achive the % of calls getting abadoned on a Daily Basis.

Can you please let me know if Abandon call rate should also depend on the analsyst available for that day to take calls?

Also, what are the different parameters which need to keep in mind for abadon call rate calculation.

Regards,
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanley_Raj II

the ultimate answer is IT Depends

Remember the old line

Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics.

You should look at abandoned call statistics with an view as what do you do with the numbers found ?

If you look at the total daily volume of call against the total number of abandoned calls, then one thing that can be determined .. if there are enough staff in a day

that combined with per shift total / shift abandoned and individual total / abandoned total could tell you which shift is over worked / staff is over worked

NOTE: The opposite however, does not work.. If you have no abandoned calls, then you have enough staff or too much staff

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per Viking, but also consider these factors:

Do you have a queueing system or voice mail?
Is there a good set of alternatives to logging by phone?

Both of the above a bloody annoying to a bloody annoyed customer!

How long does your average call last anyway? Is it unreasonable to expect a better abandon rate if your team are dealing with tricky vpn issues all day?
Or do you have dedicated 'log and flog' staff? Not everyone can be tarred with the same statistic.

What time of day week are you getting your peaks? This is what you might want to link the abandon rate to as the abandon rate is dependednt on the factors mentioned and is therefore relative, not much use as an absolute value (ok, I tried to trick you earlier!)

Oh yes, and if you try and pin the abandon rate on individuals... well make sure you speak to HR first or you'll probably get sued.

Cheers,

UJ

(Beige badge)
rpmason
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simple answer is yes. The total number of calls include the number of abandoned calls. It also includes wrong numbers, kids' calls telling parents they're home safe from school, and crank calls.

There are many things to be considered when working with abandoned calls. How long does the customer have to hang up before you consider it abandoned? 2 seconds? 20 seconds? 2 minutes? 20 minutes? When I call my ISP, sometimes I'm on hold for 10 minutes, when I call my doctor's office, I'm seldom on hold for 2 minutes. I'm sure their abandoned-call thresholds are different.
stanley_raj11

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Thank you very much for the advise Smile

Regards,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: