Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: RMichel
New Today: 36
New Yesterday: 59
Overall: 146195

People Online:
Visitors: 58
Members: 1
Total: 59 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - ITIL v3 foundation Studying/Material (Don't bush me please!)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ITIL v3 foundation Studying/Material (Don't bush me please!)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
helloworld232

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: ITIL v3 foundation Studying/Material (Don't bush me please!) Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
First, I would like to say thank you to all the people contributing to this forum with "informative" replies. I been in the IS industry for over 5 years now and would be interested to take on the ITIL foundation certs. I plan to do self-study and would like to know the materials that people used here.

Please read this before you reply back with "Please use the internet to search first before asking" or "do a search in this forum". First of all, I know how to use the internet and I know how search function works and I'm sure 90% of the people that posted here also know too. Before you start bushing, I like to say that I did spent sometime searching for this in the internet but found A lot result, in fact "TOO" much. Adding to the problem is that I'm not sure if they are good or not as there are a lot of fake ads in the net right now. I also did some searches on this forum but it seems like most people are suggesting to read the "5" books which I don't think is necessary for me.

I understand most expert here would easily able to spot/find the information they need via this forum or internet. But unfortunately for the new comers , is quite difficult as we don't have the knowledge and this is why we are asking questions. So I hope all you experts would consider this point before replying this newbie questions.
DYbeach
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you go to the ITIL Certification forum, the very first post is a 'sticky' and it contains lots of useful information. If you trawl through this forum you will find lots of stuff.
Why do you want to do self study? I believe self study candidates have a lower success rate, others may wish to confirm or otherwise
happy studying
PMI CAPM (R)

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
helloworld232

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yam i saw the sticky already,thank you . Under the self-study it mentioned only self-study course http ://itil.certification. info . Also it costs $200. Did anyone actually tried it?? any other feedbacks? what kind of background u have?.

Beside that self-study course, what other matertial or method did other people used.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HW232,

I was going to - as you say snap - but .... you actually took the time to explain why...you are askign this question. which means you took the time to let us know

Check the other posts in the forum

Yes, you are right t... there are fake courses,stolen courses etc

EXIN, ISEB, itSMF should have lists of training companys that are legit

As to the value of self study course...

it depends....

The instructor must not be a total idiot... wait you are the instructor
the materials must be relelvant and

your study process must be rigid

I took the self study course for CoBIT from ISACA.

I see that they have ITIL v3 courses

the problem is ... that according to Liz the foundain course syllabus is beign re-written... and the courses and exams aand beign re-done... i think someone posted that the exam did not match the course (on line) that he took

the other is that the course (live) is also geared to teach to passs...

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
helloworld232

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the problem is ... that according to Liz the foundain course syllabus is beign re-written... and the courses and exams aand beign re-done... i think someone posted that the exam did not match the course (on line) that he took

Re-written!? oo that might change my mind in actually studying for this cert. Does anyone know more info about this? ie.when, whats going to change,etc?
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course

how well you learn via self study versus from a classroom

It is difficult

and the last thing

with self study.. you get what you paid for .....

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First point - Do not panic about the course re-write. It is only fairly minor changes. It comes into effect in May. You can sit the current exam until then, and I think you could probably sit the new exam, having studied the old syllabus.

Second point - I thought the self-study guide mentioned in the sticky was very good - I bought it. It is pretty good value.

Third Point - A self-study course is better than just studying yourself, but it can be done. You need to get a copy of the syllabus from one of the examination bodies (EXIN, ISEB, APMG), and start reading. Buying all 5 books would cost as much as a course, but buying the Key Element guides, and (I would recommend) the Van Haren book which covers the whole Lifecycle is fairly economical. Finally the new Pocket Guide from itsmf covers the Foundation syllabus too, and only costs 10.
You also need to get hold of the official Mock Exams (available from EXIN, amongst others).

As a trainer, i would argue that the interaction with other students, tutor's explanations, exam guidance etc, is better, but not everyone can afford it.
misuno

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi helloworld232.

I really liked the way you launched your question. I am pretty sure if you didn't do it like that you were blown away. Which is always a pitty.

I've did the foundation training and we received the pocket guides from itsmf on top of a syllabus. I must say following the training without self study is to hard to pass. The exams are not that easy.

I also do a lot of self study in the books (V3) and an electronic format (V2) and I must say this is helping me a lot in my day2day job. I found there is a major difference between the content of V2 and V3. In V2 for example I sometimes think, hmmz if I compare this in practice, they are missing a few important things. I find V3 very much professional.

Perhaps your company can buy you the books (http://www.itsmfbooks.com) starting with the foundation. It is a good investment and isn't so expensive if you see what a major difference it can make in your company.

You can start with selfstudy and try the certification (o; If this is not working you can always participate a training.

good luck
DYbeach
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helloworld232 wrote:
what kind of background u have?

Seeing as you asked, hw232, I started in Operations in the Neolithic period. The times when card punches and paper tape drives were in use and you had to memorise a sequence of 37 octal addresses to boot up the mainframe used for printing. When the console for the main processing computer was a teletype. When operators wore white coats and got excited at the thought of disk drives with 128K capacity. I could go on but I can see the nurse and she is bringing me my pills with a cup of tea and a biscuit, and on Friday we get Tim Tams.

After 6 or so years in Ops I went to University and did an IT course by distance education. We didn't have internet then, and had to write our code on coding sheets, mail it to the Uni, the data entry ladies would type them up and a week later we would get our listsings back.

But you know, we were happy in those days, even though we were poor.

Since then I have worked as an applications programmer, support programmer, BA, tester and had the odd go at project management. I think I am a reasonable BA, could one day bring myself to enjoy Project Mgt but I suck as a tester.

Have worked in Service Management for the last 7 or so years, mainly Change and Release Mgt. Maybe the reason I like Change Management so much is that I am scarred from my years of working as an operator and shift support person when such a thing did not exist. The days when you would get abused by a programmer for calling him at night, and finding out he had changed some code, not told anyone and not tested it properly which is why overnight batch was falling over in the first place.

This year I am back at Uni, doing a course that will get me a post grad piece of paper as well as industry certification. So that I can keep competing with the 30 year olds.

What's your background?
PMI CAPM (R)

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DYbeach wrote:
The times when card punches and paper tape drives were in use and you had to memorise a sequence of 37 octal addresses to boot up the mainframe used for printing.

8-5 parenthetically speaking 8-6 was the code I used, but did you debug octal dumps?
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
DYbeach
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

learned how, but didn't do a lot of it so I didn't get good at it
PMI CAPM (R)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Certification All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: