Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: SoniaHenso
New Today: 53
New Yesterday: 55
Overall: 149648

People Online:
Visitors: 53
Members: 2
Total: 55 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ģ ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - SC & SLA Awareness
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SC & SLA Awareness
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ala6782

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: SC & SLA Awareness Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

In my organisation weíve got a Service Catalogue and signed SLAs with our internal businesses. Iím trying to figure out a way to educate 1000+ IT users form different businesses in different sites about them. Although both the SC and SLA are posted in the intranet website, few people have been interested in reading them. I thought of making up some comical stuff and get it printed and distributed across the organisation to grab the usersí interest.

Iíve been searching the net for some days but didnít find something helpful. I have rather got some free presentations which can be useful if I wanted to teach ITIL for someone.

My goal is to make up something creative in order to attract people to learn what they need to know about our SC and SLA. I would appreciate if someone can be helpful to me.

Regards,
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ala

Silly question ... with a dash of sarcasm

Why shoudl you write information to the different businesses (their users) when it is THEIR responsibility to do so

What you should post is as follows

Service hours of a service - who & how to contact for incidents, requests

that is it

sent to each business head and make them respsonsible for tsending it forward

while it may nice and beneficial - good service manageemtn - from your point of view and your bosses

what you are doing is their job for them...

and unless you have the legs... you are not their secretary

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ala,

in simple terms, the Service Catalogue and Service Level Agreements are not for users; they are for customer(s). That's it. Whole story.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, of course, life is more complicated. Especially with internal IT services. A certain amount of service information (and user training and education) is inevitably required (or, at least, beneficial), and you will do that.

However, properly speaking, that is all further service you are providing for your customers whether it is identified as service or not. Therefore it should be delivered consistent with the customers' business requirements.

For example, your customers may not want their staff spending time trolling through service catalogues or debating the finer points of SLAs. They may want information better tuned to each type of user.

Equally, the opposite may be true if the nature of the business means that most of the users need to have flexible access to, and use of, wide ranges of services.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
King

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ala,

I have had the same kind of discussion with one of our customers.

The point was that I was talking about "Service Catalog", and he was talking about "Service Requests".

Could you give us a couple of samples of the services that are defined in your Service Catalog, please ?
Ala6782

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKVIKING, I can see under your name youíre a senior itiler, but honestly speaking I neither like nor appreciate the way you responds to me and the unwanted pieces of advice youíre throwing. If I was to hold your opinions, I would maintain far more respect then what I see youíre doing.

Diarmid wrote:
However, properly speaking, that is all further service you are providing for your customers whether it is identified as service or not. Therefore it should be delivered consistent with the customers' business requirements.

For example, your customers may not want their staff spending time trolling through service catalogues or debating the finer points of SLAs. They may want information better tuned to each type of user.

Equally, the opposite may be true if the nature of the business means that most of the users need to have flexible access to, and use of, wide ranges of services.

I am not sure I got you 100%. Would you explain?
The idea weíre thinking of is to put the SC in a format which can look somewhat funny, in addition to the formal format which is published on the Intranet, so we can grab the users interest to learn.

Hi King, here you are some examples.

1. In-house applications
a. Inventory application
b. HR application
2. Desktop services
3. Infrastructure services
4. Others
a. Service Desk
b. Training and awareness
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ala6782.

First....You come here asking for advice. You dont like the advice or You dont like the tone of the advice. ... so what... Text has no tone. It just lies there. I am blunt speaking. Truth speaking. I dont waffle or talk around the subject for fear of offending people or their sensitivities. I am TACTless... and I always will be. I provide my opinion / outlook / analysis of what has been posted. As I have been in IT since the 80s - in various low level mid level and (now) high level roles, I have been there, done that, got the t-shirt, got the coffee mug and have the shaggy dog stories to go with what ever IT experience you may be facing. I have worked with well qualified, over qualified staff and managers as well as (tactfully put) morons - both as my working peers and management.

..live with it.

Now to the task at hand

My question / observation is still valid and so is Diarmid's remarks are too. Whether you like them, use them or ignore, I frankly do not care. You ask a question / post something. I will most likely reply - hopefully to the topic at hand

.........now back to the topic at hand...............
When you provide services as a service provider to customer(s) (service consumers), there is roles and responsibilities on your part and their part.

You are providing a service to the customer. Your Service level agreement is with the customer. Your contract is with the customer.

What the customer tells or not tells its users about the service, the SLAs, etc is not your concern - unless they are misrepresenting what you are providing and its SLAs

regardless of whether you are servicing internal or external clients...yuo shuld take the same approach

If you are the Service Desk for a company, then all relevant information (what your mgmt thinks) should be available to the customer and its users
as a general rule.

If you provide different services to different aspects of the business - blackberry service to senior executives, then the info should be segregated as to each service

Issues like service hours, response times should be on the web site

Now should the Service desk send an email to the 20000 users in the company every time there is a new service being offered to a division or change in service to a division etc. No. to be honest. While it can do so, the SD should inform the division and the division should inform (or not) its users. This is called division of labor / roles and responsibilty

If you are the Service level manager for the service provider or consumer, then this would your role

Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ala,

all I'm saying is: do you have a remit/contract from your customer to provide this kind of information to all users? Because if you don't then you are doing something for nothing and you may even be doing your customer a disservice.

And that is what John said as well.

Probably you should be focussing specific information about services which specific groups of users need to be aware of.

To take an example from your list, I would think that the HR management team would want to control the awareness and understanding of the HR application, both in terms of who and how.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Ala6782

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diarmid,

Yes, the point # 4.b above about awareness. At least this is what my 2 bosses want.

UKVIKING, as I donít have time to read your post, I just read the first two sentences. And my answer to you is that I asked for X you told me to take Y instead. Y is simply unwanted by me plus the tone. That is it. I think you have been under no obligation to reply to my post, and Iím not willing to argue with you or anyone else on something I see irrelevant to my subject.
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

could you please answer the following questions to sehd some moe light on your situation?

1) What do you want to achieve in doing this?

2) Do you know your target audience and have you seperated them out i.e. technical audience for technical information, business audience for non technical information etc?

3) Do you know what information is relevant to each target audience?

4) Is this information easy for the target audience to find and undertand?

5) What are these 100 services. Are they defined from a technical, business or user/customer perspective?
BorisBear
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fight, fight, fight, fight.

Twisted Evil
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris,

maybe it's all right where you come from, but those commas and that full-stop really have to be exclamation marks, sometimes known as shrieks.
William Penn 1644-1718
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diarmid

he may have a split infinitive or a dangling modifer and therefore has to use , instead of !

but it is a good chant

Ala6782

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark, yes I could.

As I mentioned earlier, itís my bossesí interpretation of the SC. And also when I take the usersí feedback about our resolutions for the tickets they log with our service desk, I find that many of them are not aware of some simples things. They may complain about a service for that a ticket took a long time to get resolved, even if it was less than the resolution time in the SLA. On the other hand, the SD may register some tickets at a lower priority than what it has to be or put a ticket on waiting for no valid reason. If a user is aware of these details, they can form an improvement factor in terms of customer satisfaction and quality of service.

Thatís why my audience would be all IT users. And we intend to present the SC and SLA in an attractive way to make them interesting to read.

There are no 100 services, but my audience is 1000+.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ala6782

A SLA is a Service Level Agreement. It is usually between 2 companies - A Service Provider and a service consumer. It is not a contractual agreement per se. But it would be used by the service consumer to beat the crap out of a service provider if they are not up to the standards set forth in the SLA

For a company that provides services to internal staff, an SLA is used rather freely but this is usually an Operational Level Agreement not a Service Level agreement

Of course, if the help desk is a third party embedded in a company, there would be also an Underlying contract as well as a SLA and an OLA
---------------------
Next point

based on your latest post, the main issue with the service that is provided is perception

You have to tread a careful line here. Perception is hard to change for people who have had bad experiences with the ServiceDesk. It takes months / years to get them to change their mind

Any user expects that his call / issue / etc is important. Telling them that their priority in response time is lower than some one else or (as found out) changing it with out informing the user as to why

If you are supporting the Service Desk, then the SD mgmt (including yourself) needs to define the Priority structure into a hierarchy /matrix using the following types of criteria

Service Impact - Outage, Disruption, No Impact
Business / Work Impact - Can't do my primary job at all. etc
Scale - one person, team, department, Business Unit

If this, however, has been done; then you need to establish a user information program with the business units to deploy rather than yourselves

There is no need to fancy it up or make it light and funny. Cold hard facts - with examples would suffice

As well as a Help Desk Guide to be distributed to all of your users via the Business units that they belong to

You - the Service desk - provide a service to departments not their users.. A user assigned to Department A may move to Department E. You dont need to know that beyond the fact that their records have been updated by HR & his management (old and new)

This is Separation of Duties. (This is also an audit item)

Ala6782

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKVIKING wrote:
For a company that provides services to internal staff, an SLA is used rather freely but this is usually an Operational Level Agreement not a Service Level agreement

Of course, if the help desk is a third party embedded in a company, there would be also an Underlying contract as well as a SLA and an OLA

Correction:

For a company that provides services to internal staff, as you stated, an SLA is between the IT back office and each of the other businesses. Whereas an OLA & UC are between the IT office and its internal and external suppliers respectively.

Example:

You would sign an SLA with the yoyo production internal company.
You would sign an OLA with the telecommunication internal company as well as with the HR department.
You would sign a UC with the external computer vendor as well as with a third party embedded SD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Service Delivery All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: