Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: RObu
New Today: 51
New Yesterday: 84
Overall: 143627

People Online:
Visitors: 69
Members: 3
Total: 72 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - What do you do when the Service Desk tool goes down??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do you do when the Service Desk tool goes down??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
frblibrary

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: What do you do when the Service Desk tool goes down?? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and not sure which one to target with my query, hope you guys can help. I work in first tier support and am interested in knowing what procedures you have in place in your organisation to maintain service to the client when the Service Desk Tool (SDT) falls over and no-one can use it.

What method do you have for recording information necessary to create an incident when the SDT comes back up?
What procedure do you have for passing on details to 2nd and 3rd tier groups during a prolonged period of SDT unavailability?
Do you maintain a level of service to the client or do you drop your level of service under such circumstances?
Can they still have an incident recorded or do you ask them to call back later?

You'll see that I am not concerned with procedures for getting the SDT back up asap, that is not my concern at first tier, just what to do to maintain client service.

We have implemented a spreadsheet replicating data for recording an incident/request/change etc, with each individual analyst creating their own document, recording incident details and then a system of collating spreadsheets and passing data on to 2nd and 3rd tier groups after a certain time period. It is really very messy so if you guys handle things in a simpler way please give me your ideas.

Thanks
Felicity
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is no standard really

We used pencil / paper, ms access share database

it also depends on how long the tool is down for

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you do when the Service Desk tool goes down?? Reply with quote

Felicity,

I'm afraid I'm in a very pedantic mood these days:

frblibrary wrote:
What method do you have for recording information necessary to create an incident when the SDT comes back up?

As your subsequent questions indicate, you "create an incident" there and then. When your SDT service is restored, what you do is bring it up to date with the incidents that have occurred. All you are creating then is the record of everything.

It's not a case of "We can't create an incident, but we'll go ahead and fix it." Incident management is not about the tool, it's about the service.

I know that is what you meant, but it fooled me for a minute.

frblibrary wrote:
Do you maintain a level of service to the client or do you drop your level of service under such circumstances?

You do what you can to maintain your service level. You accept that you cannot succeed only with great reluctance and afterwards you review what happened with an intention to improve next time.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
thechosenone69
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As UK said:

Quote:
there is no standard really

We used pencil / paper, ms access share database

Your solution was a good oone, just make sure that the staff are recording all of the incident. Also make sure that all calls are being logged by 1st line support only, this will make it easier for you to be on top of things.
You need to act as a hub, The only entrance and Exit for all incident that come in. So lets say you get an incident and you document it manually and send it to higher level support, make sure to follow up with them to get the solution/updates back as you dont want having lost/unlogged incidents, waste time looking on who logged and where that incident went.

Good luck Smile

Regards,

TCO
frblibrary

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Thanks everyone! Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advice Smile
Its great to find a forum that is so active, I have posted this same query on two other forums and am still awaiting replies. Many thanks.
Felicity
DYbeach
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if active is a word I'd use........
PMI CAPM (R)

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dy i resemble that remark

da na... da na..... da n

jaws theme

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: