Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: ABasham
New Today: 9
New Yesterday: 67
Overall: 148309

People Online:
Visitors: 69
Members: 1
Total: 70 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Service Capacity Mgmt
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Service Capacity Mgmt
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SwissTony
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Service Capacity Mgmt Reply with quote

Back again with another capacity query.......

Business Capacity Mgmt seems straight forward in being aware of the capacity requirements of Business & IT Strategy, and Business & IT Projects.

Resource Capacity again seems straight forward in monitoring IT resources, analysing, forecasting, etc

However, Service Capacity Mgmt is proving to be a stumbling block. Currently in my organisation we are amending the service catalogue to create a small number of core Business Services which compile of numerous smaller services (Eg. One main service which covers email, desktop, LAN, internet, intranet........). However, currently it is not possible to link these services to the CIs they use. Which appears to be a crux position, and something which stops this sub-process from being able to be managed. Obviously it's possible to find out the plans for the services, growth, decommisioning, new functionality etc, but without linking it to the resources this data is fairly meaningless. The key to having this link in place is to have a fully functioning CMDB, which a whole other topic.

I am missing something? Is there another way to approach Service Capacity?
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends tony

using what i did

We had point ot point links and / or MPLS connections from site a to site b

the usage stats I provided from the monitoring tool gave service usage stats of the p2p and mpls

for ex

each site had 2 links to each site load shared not load balanced

The threshold for upgrade notice was 40%
Critical was 80%
In addition, we started to look at utilizationon the routers/ switches etc per site and LAN environment

Backup lan
monitoring lan
etc etc

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
SwissTony
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKV..... so your service was the actual network link, which in for me that would fall within the resource side of things.

Having done some more digging I found some info regarding SCM being concerned with ensuring SLA targets are met. Currently we do not have any network response measures documented or the like, just expected availability. So while being aware of growth, decommisioning, new functionality etc would impact here, there's not much I can see to measure.

With true relationships being documented between IT Services and their supporting resources it would be possible to analyse the working patterns, peaks, troughs etc. This would facilitate a level of Demand Mgmt, and resource planning.....however, I still end up at the point that without the relationship being documented this sub-process is dead.

Anyone out there have a fully complete, & functioning CMDB that documents CI relationships? Or has this become the holy grail within ITSM?
BorisBear
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SwissTony wrote:
UKV..... so your service was the actual network link, which in for me that would fall within the resource side of things.

Having done some more digging I found some info regarding SCM being concerned with ensuring SLA targets are met. Currently we do not have any network response measures documented or the like, just expected availability. So while being aware of growth, decommisioning, new functionality etc would impact here, there's not much I can see to measure.

With true relationships being documented between IT Services and their supporting resources it would be possible to analyse the working patterns, peaks, troughs etc. This would facilitate a level of Demand Mgmt, and resource planning.....however, I still end up at the point that without the relationship being documented this sub-process is dead.

Anyone out there have a fully complete, & functioning CMDB that documents CI relationships? Or has this become the holy grail within ITSM?

I agree that network is Resource not Service. Having said that in Resource terms its one of the key things to think about because:

a) Its relatively easy to size
b) Its one of the more typical bottlencks/point of failure

One of the more difficult Resources to size is the Database layer - this is because its more about configuration than just pure 'tin'.

Even if you don't have all the CIs I suspect that most people have an understanding of the main ones for a service (network, app server, database server) and these could be the areas in which you concentrate your efforts.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony,

in my view, the repackaging of your services is a red herring especially as you are including different layers in one "core" service (desktop and email impact on LAN internet and intranet, but so do other services and activities).

Both Capacity Management and Service Level Management still have to take into account the business demand for, e.g., email service independently of desktop or any other service.

Agglomerated services are essentially a customer facing packaging and all the real work still has to focus on the components which, although related are not wholly susceptible to a simple rule.

It seems to me sufficient to say that email requires 3 units of LAN, 2 units of data storage, 5 units of internet access etc. and how its projected growth will affect these figures.

It is only the links at this level that are critical to Capacity Management. Relating these to the "core business services" need be no more than a checklist for each of them without the complexity of trying to map back the composite "service".
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
SwissTony
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris...I agree, and fortunately the networks team have just rolled out a new all-singing-all-dancing monitoring system, due to major consolidation activities.

Dairmid...I also agree, however, it something that comes from the top as IT strategy moves towards a face of being a business to the business. Nothing actually changes other than the customer perception of IT, and a headache of a new charge-back system. Re-packaging is the biggest scam of marketing.
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Service Capacity Mgmt Reply with quote

[quote="SwissTony"]

However, currently it is not possible to link these services to the CIs they use.

The key to having this link in place is to have a fully functioning CMDB, which a whole other topic.
/quote]

Hi, what is stopping you from linking the services to the CI's. Can you expand on this a bit further. Is it that the tool / CMDB cannot do this or because you do not have the information or something else?
SwissTony
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delayed response as I've been on vacation.......

Mark, it cannot be done at the moment because the CMDB is not able to map the resources, while it could be done on a rough estimate, it cannot be truely done yet. There's a big project within Config Mgmt to address some serious issues with the CMDB, & this is a hopeful goal towards the end of said project.

Either way having recently been told that due to the financial world (Hmmmm) it has been decided that Capacity is a process where they can run on a minimal level, and my contract is not going to be re-newed. Suddenly I feel my motivation shrinking Mad

So now I focus on compiling a handover, and putting inplace a 'sufficient' process for all global sites.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running on minimum is very expensive.

We just have to wait a few months and there will be jobs available to get them out of the hole.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
SwissTony
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diarmid wrote:
We just have to wait a few months and there will be jobs available to get them out of the hole.

Exactly.......I'm taking the opportunity to gain my Service Managers cert.......while the v2 is still around.

While Capex may be none existant, Opex still leaves some scope, and sure all the CIOs will soon understand Del-Boy was correct when he said 'Who dares wins.....' & start the Capex rolling again.
borf2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:50 am    Post subject: Advice from experienced professionals Reply with quote

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice. I've been offered the role of capacity and availability manager at a major pharma but am nervous that there seems to be very little demand for these skills on job sites or documentation written about these diciplines. Problem, incident and change diciplines seem to have armies of people and vacancies, cap and avail doesn't. Is cap and avail valued by businesses or is it the vital niche dicipline knocked by the others? I've seen a book dedicated to ITIL that has around 400 pages with just 2 dedicated to cap and avail combined and labelling the disciplines Black Sheep! I see these more as strategy and planning disciplines which I prefer over reaction disciplines. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Andy
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

there is a Capacity Management book as part of the ITIL library that is either due out or has just recently been published by Van Haren. This woudl be a complete reference point.

As for the jobs skills thing - think of the bigger picture.
SwissTony
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Borf2....the job isn't in Geneva is it? As I'm waiting confirmation of my next contract!!

You're correct Capacity & Availability seem to have very few people involved...however, once you dig you realise that the datacenter monitoring guys are involved, the server guys are involved, the project mgmt guys are involved, the service level mgr & service mgrs are involved, so there are numerous people, but they are not directly sitting underneath the umbrella of capacity mgmt.
borf2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark, thanks for the heads up about the book. You are right re looking at the bigger picture, I just really wanted to know what opinions other experienced ITILers had of these disciples. None of these would sway my decision as I've accepted the role.

Hi SwissTony, no, it is a global role but not based out of Geneva although I would be visiting there from time to time. On a personal note I'd love to move me and my family to Switzerland, if this role gets me closer to that then all the better.

You're right, many many teams must be involved all centered around a single manager, I'll take that as a vital niche then which is what I'm after in my work.

Regards

Andy
SwissTony
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy....care to drop the name of your potential employer? Roche?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Service Delivery All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: