Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: HGoble
New Today: 33
New Yesterday: 69
Overall: 148113

People Online:
Visitors: 54
Members: 1
Total: 55 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Efficient way of disseminating work procedures
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Efficient way of disseminating work procedures

View previous topic :: View next topic  
l3golas82

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Efficient way of disseminating work procedures Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Need your help on this. Shocked

For Helpdesk, work procedures (escalation, handling of cases, etc) get changed due to continuity improvement.

Understand that there are many ways to share these work processes with the Helpdesk agents such as the following:
1. Uploading these procedures onto a website, allowing the agents to access the portal and read up on these procedures.
2. Have a discussion with the agents on the changed procedures and follow up with an email on what has been discussed.

We have tried the above but agents tend to forget the procedure. Could it be due to the way the discussion was conducted? Would it be better if there is a case study for such work procedures to allow the agents to understand better?

- Are there any other ways besides the above that could bring accross this work procedures to the agent efficiently?

Thank you in advance for your contributions. =]

Best Regards
l3golas82
alexd

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say that the work procedures get changed, how often? If they get new insctructions every week or even month, it's simply hard for a human being to continuously adapt their method of working.

That aside, a technique I used myself when working as a help desk agent, might sound a little low-tech but hey, it worked, have a printout nearby with step by step instructions or visio diagram if available. Speaking from experience, I had a portal available to me too, never went to it, too much of a hassle. My trusty printouts helped me on many occasions. Not a flashy solution, but effective!

My 2 cents
l3golas82

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi alexd,

Thanks for the inputs.

The work procedures do not change every month or week. Its just that we have many work procedures.

Thank you for the technique. I think thats a good idea. =]

Cheers
rpmason
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easy for us who write the procedures to upload them and expect everyone to flock to them. It just doesn't happen.

At one job, we created job aids on ten 5x7 inch cards (printed front and back, nicely and simply designed, and laminated) attached to a keyring and a hook for hanging it up. They used them because it took 5 seconds to get the information. A few people added some of their own homemade aids to their rings. The back page of the set held the intranet address for their full procedures, work instructions, etc.

We were able to use a reasonable size typeface and had good white space. It wasn't expensive but the choosing of which procedures to whittle down and the actual whittling took longer than we'd thought.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: