Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: BArmour
New Today: 31
New Yesterday: 67
Overall: 148333

People Online:
Visitors: 61
Members: 1
Total: 62 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - How to define the CMDB in current software db & hardwar
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to define the CMDB in current software db & hardwar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
janewit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: How to define the CMDB in current software db & hardwar Reply with quote

Dear all,
In the market, there have many Tools...such as IBM's Tivoli , Symantes's Altiris.
we have bought the Altiris around one year.Actually my company, want to join the ITIL.
Now is planning, i have some question about my exist db.
Our Existing Database : hardware using Oracle Database, software using Access Database.
How to define the CMDB.I don't know how to design it......
Thanks !!
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

janewit,

here, briefly, is how I would go about the construction of the CMDB:

1. define the functions you require of your CMDB (derived from the requirements of the processes that will use it)
2. identify the information and relationships required for those functions
3. decide whether you can use one or both of your current databases (perhaps a bit reconfigured) or if you need an new purpose built database (perhaps using Altiris); in any event ensuring that you can achieve the appropriate interfaces for your other processes.
4. define the processes for building and managing the CMDB
5. design, build, test, implement, maintain and review your CMDB

If the acquisition of Altiris was made without a specification based on the required functionality, then make no assumptions as to its suitability or otherwise.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janewit,

So your company bought a tool without any consideration as to what it will do with the tool.

Old hoary is applicable - A fool with a tool is still a fool.

Not that you are the fool, you are the one who points out the emperor has no clothes and are tryign to find a solution

Why did the company buy the tool when they did not have any idea what to do with the tool

If you are going to implement ITIL in an organization, there needs to be some clue about what you want to do

You will already have Incident mgt, service desk processes, procedures and hopefully tools

I would recommend the following:
1 - Ask ITIL Admin for this site to move this thread to the Configuration Management forum. this is the easy part
2 - Develop an Configuration Management policy, process and procedures using the existing staff. Ignore the tool for the moment
3 - Hire some one who has a clue about ITIL implementations - even remotely. I understand Diarmid is available.

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

if you have not done this before and want to ensure the best possible design for your CMDB - get someone in who has done thsi before and can demonstrate their ability and understanding in designing / re-engineering CMDB's.

Trying to do it with little or no understanding of CMDB will waste a lot of time. Some circles think that CMDB cannot be done but if you go through a valid requirements gathering exercise you may be able to achieve what it is you need.

Hope this makes sense. I recommend this approach as I have reengineered 3 CMDBs over the years for 3 different customers who all tried to do a CMDB but nver got things quite right from the start and had to go through a lot of pain to put things right - they just didn't have the in house expertise available.
janewit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: How to define the CMDB in current software db & har Reply with quote

Thanks Diarmid 、 Ukviking and Mark-OLoughlin,
hm.....company have coordinate the education training for us.
Before planning also need to understand the Alitiris Module and function. (It have some module.)
Okay, I also try to find who has done it before (.may be no friends have used it.).
Finally, thanks your again ! I got my direction.
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

last comment, not only do you need to understand the system "Alitiris Module and function" you also need to have understood the requirement and created a model of the CMDB befroe you even touch the system. Modelling is so important and need to be done at the start.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark is correct. Put Altiris away in its box until you know exactly what you want it to do for you.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: