Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: GHDXO
New Today: 26
New Yesterday: 67
Overall: 148328

People Online:
Visitors: 68
Members: 2
Total: 70 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Proposal for Service Desk
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Proposal for Service Desk

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdsmeck

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Proposal for Service Desk Reply with quote

I recently passed the V3 Foundation exam and am currently working on the Intermediate OSA Capability Course - studying for the exam...

I have recently been tasked with writing up a proposal for a Service Desk for my organization...

A little background...

My current organization used to be part of a large multi-divisional retail organization that employed a large helpdesk that handled user/client calls from all divisions, as well as personnel from approximately 400 stores - Single Point of Contact...

That organization was bought out a few years ago and one of the divisions, the one that I am currently employed by, was sold...

In this new org, we currently do not and have not had a SPOC and would like to have one...We have several locations - A Central HQ, Warehouse, Programming Staff, and my location the data center, as well as approximately 48 store locations...

We have the Numara FootPrints software available for our use...

We need to build this Service Desk from scratch...

Some of our thoughts to include are: recruiting, associates, the local community college and their partners for recruiting staff, training, telephony, logistics, physical work space, SLAs, work-force planning, types of calls, quantity of calls, cost per call, first call resolution rates, etc, etc...

Any guidance on how to best put together a proposal for senior level management - such as a format/template, where/how to start would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks In Advance...

Edited to add - This is what I have put together so far:

Comments/Suggestions/Opinions???

Quote:
LTOC Service Desk Proposal

Executive Summary

Introduction -
To create a single point of contact centralized Service Desk and provide cost-effective incident logging, problem resolution and prevention while maintaining the highest level of customer service, skills, flexibility and adaptability utilizing the methodology of the ITIL framework of international best practices.

Features / Benefits
One Stop Shop for all end user IT related incidents/problems thereby increasing accessibility and improved customer service perception and satisfaction
Better quality and faster turnaround of customer and user requests
Improved teamwork, better managed infrastructure and increased communications throughout the organization thereby reducing negative business impacts
Improved usage of IT support resources and increased productivity of business personnel
Enhanced focus and proactive approach to service
More meaningful management information for decision support

Key Qualifications
LT Operations Management has previous experience in managing/supervising a multi-divisional helpdesk environment
Cost of labor is very low in the xxxxx area
Supply of qualified labor is readily available in the xxxxxx area
xxxxx County Community College and its educational partners have been previously successful avenues of quality staffing
Available space in LTOC???
Strong Internal Procedures
Develop and write our own tools
Monitoring
Troubleshooting
Scripts/Macros
Experienced staff to assist with initial training

Services To Be Bid Integration
The Numara FootPrints web-based service management software that was acquired through Fortunoff will be utilized. FootPrints offers the following service management solutions:

Incident, Problem and Service Request Management
Web-based administration
Comprehensive workflow automation
Extensive 2 way email integration
Self Service and Customer Portal
Service Level Management
Telephony Integration
Knowledge Management
Calendar and Scheduling
LDAP Directory Services Integration
Preventive Maintenance
Real-time Dashboards
Web-based Reporting and Graphical Metrics
Service Catalog Management
Change and Approval Management
Service Asset and Configuration Management
Asset Management
Software Deployment
Mobility and Synchronization
Dynamic SQL Integration

Maintenance and Support
IT Support will be provided to all end users of xxxx to include New York Headquarters, xxxxx Warehouse, LTSC, LTOC , and all store locations
Methodologies
The ITIL framework of international best practices will be utilized to create procedures and followed in order to deliver services
Risk Mitigation
A disaster situation encompassing LTOC - how to mitigate???
Learning curve of personnel at start up - Experienced SSA/OSA personnel will be on hand through the initial training period
Key Challenges
Insufficient management commitment and support for the changes required
Inequitable process ownership and responsibility
Continuation of reluctance to effect change when best practices are identified as beneficial
Perception of change occurring too rapidly
Inadequate training for IT support staff
Resistance to integration of services between different groups
Minimal commitment top changes from staff
Circumvention of established processes
Ensuring key stakeholders have appropriate input into process development

**Note - As our organization was used to a multi-divisional helpdesk, these challenges should be non-existent or very minimal

Quality Assurance
Review of incidents, problems and spot check of calls. Service Desk Metrics Management Reporting
Management Plan
Organization
Operations Manager
Service Desk Manager
Service Desk Supervisor
Service Desk Analyst II
Service Desk Analyst I
Roles and Responsibilities
Operations Manager - initially responsible for hiring and approving all activities associated with the start up effort - After startup - all activities should be coordinated through the Operations Manager
Service Desk Manager - staffing/day-to-day management of the Service Desk - personnel issues, customer/user complaints, management reporting, training
Service Desk Supervisor - In coordination with the Service Desk Manager - day-to-day operations of the Service Desk, personnel issues, customer/user complaints, management reporting, training
Service Desk Analyst II - day-to-day operations of the Service Desk during his/her tour of duty. Assisting those less experienced, other duties as deemed appropriate by the SDM/SDS
Service Desk Analyst I - day-to-day operations of the Service Desk during his/her tour of duty, other duties as deemed appropriate by the SDM/SDS
All Service Desk Analysts -
Receiving calls, first-line customer liaison
Recording and tracking incidents, problems, and complaints
Keeping customers/users informed on request status and progress
Making an initial assessment of requests, attempting to resolve them or refer them to someone who can
Monitoring and escalation procedures relative to the appropriate SLA/OLA/UC
Identifying Problems
Closing Incidents, Problems and confirmation with customers/users
Coordinating second and third line support

Outsourcing Plan - None
Milestones and Deliveries
Service Level Management
Service Level Agreements - (Among Customers/Users)
Users Expectations managed and met by IT
Eliminate any misunderstandings
Service Levels measured against agreed targets
Escalation processes in place to manage SLA breaches
Provide equitable support
Operation Level Agreements (Within the IT Group)
Enhanced service levels internally will allow enhanced services to be provided externally to customers/users
Identify resource requirements for delivery of efficient service
Underpinning Contracts (3rd Party)
Service Improvement Program
Allow IT to focus resources where required
Constantly evolve services with a quality improvement approach
-
Relevant Corporate Experience
Project Summaries
LT IT Operations Management has numerous years in managing/supervising a helpdesk environment - May/Federated with very good results and during periods of transition - See Metrics
Reference / Testimonials

Staffing Plan
Key Personnel
Service Desk Manager - reporting to Operations Manager
Service Desk Supervisor - reporting to Service Desk Manager
Service Desk Analyst II - reporting to Service Desk Supervisor/Operations Supervisor
Service Desk Analyst I - reporting to Service Desk Supervisor/Operations Supervisor
Representative Resumes
Customer service/phone skills
Computer literacy - PC/Windows knowledge
IT/Business educational background
Methodologies
Recognition of staff achievement contributing to service quality
Rotation of staff onto other activities as time permits (projects, second-line support)
Team building exercises and celebrations
Promotion of the Service Desk as a potential stepping stone for staff to move into other more technical or supervisory roles (after defined time periods and demonstrated skills achievement)

Resource Requirements
Human Resources
Proposal will requirement the hiring of x personnel to staff the Service Desk from 07:00 - 18:00 - 7 days per week??? **Hours/Number of new hires to be determined**
Allocation of time by current OSA/SSA staff will be required in the initial training phase of the new hirers for the Service Desk

Service Desk Phone System
The current telephone system may require modifications; however the resource requirements are unknown at present.

Software
Numara FootPrints software to be utilized

Cost of License?
Cost of Upgrade?

Costs
Personnel - to man Service Desk (Set-up and ongoing) $xxxxxx/$xxxxxx
Accommodations - Physical Location (Set-up and ongoing) $xxxxxx/$xxxxxx
Software - Tools (Set-up and ongoing) $xxxxxx/$xxxxxx
Hardware - Infrastructure (Set-up and ongoing) $xxxxxx/$xxxxxx
Education - Training (Set-up and ongoing) $xxxxxx/$xxxxxx
Procedures - Internal Consultants (Set-up and ongoing) $xxxxxx/$xxxxxx

Other Items
Assumptions
Telephony - VRU - ?
See Proposed VRU Tree
KPI's for the Service Desk - Metrics/ACD Stats:
Numbers and Types of Calls - (Broken down by type, time of day, and day of week)
Cost of Call
First Call Resolution Rates
Call Resolution Time
Average Abandon Rates (ABA)
Average Talk Time (ATT)
Average Speed To Answer
After Work Time (AWT)
Average Call Handling Time (AHT)
Available Time
Unavailable Time
Number of Knowledgebase Articles Created
Number or Percentage of SLA Breaches
Customer Satisfaction (Surveys)
Use of Self Help (If available) - Users may resolve their own incidents via the support knowledgebase

Options
Future Considerations
Additional Capabilities

Mike...
MBU
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under "costs" I miss "external consultants" (ok, I am one of these ..)

To set up a Service Desk is both, complicated and easy, when you start from scratch. You've not all "key challanges" mentioned, but Risk Management and Quality Assurance should guide you.
How much hands-on experience do you really have to build this??? How do you know e.g. your staff,call, whatever expectations? What you've done so far looks feasible, but again, I would recommend someone with real experience in this special topic.

"I can't say it'll be better if it changes, but I can say it has to change to be good"
G.C. Lichtenberg (1742 - 1799)
thechosenone69
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The proposal looks well structured, though I would recommend you to sit down with each team that will use the system (ex: Finance, Configuration/Asset management, Change management etc.) and take their requirements, then compare if Numara service Desk System can deliver those requirements and then add them as benefits before proposing the project.

Also if your familiar with Microsoft project, you can create a new .mpp for this project which will make it look more professional and will make you have more control over delivery and milestones. From your question I can tell that this is more of project management than ITIL, you can read about prince2 project management to help you out in this.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,

A
inrepose

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would always start a proposal with background on the current situation. If you have any evidence that currently suggests the amount of service calls and activity being made by your stakeholder groups I would start by providing an overview.

You can then build the new model around the situation, which will inform your scale of operation.

Do you have any idea of current service load? Even without recorded statistics, you could ask those stakeholder for a view on how many issues they deal with each day/week/Month. It would really help with the design.

Otherwise you objective looks sound.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: