Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: xcymquvq38
New Today: 91
New Yesterday: 154
Overall: 130989

People Online:
Visitors: 62
Members: 4
Total: 66 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Implementing Configuration Management
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Implementing Configuration Management

View previous topic :: View next topic  
annnie79

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Implementing Configuration Management Reply with quote

I am responsible for administering the Software Configuration Management Database ,namely Team Foundation Server. WE do not have any kind of Hardware configuration database in our company, and now we are in need to maintain track and information of our servers, as to what is it used for and what does it contain and who is responsible for each server....so in other words we need to develop a hardware configuration database...but I dont knw where to start..can anybody help me?Please
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annnie79,

you have already started.

You have identified that you need to know the use, content and ownership of servers. Flesh that out to specifics and add to it how you will use the information, how you will ensure the integrity and availability of the information, who will need to have access to what parts of the information and appoint someone to the responsibility for managing this function.

Then all you have to do is determine what tools you will use. If you only have one server with one application, three users and need access for two people, then a simple spreadsheet table will probably suffice. If it is more complex than that then you will either have to develop a database, or design additional functionality to an existing database, or acquire a third party CMDB tool or add functionality to an existing CMDB tool all on the basis of what meets your requirements best for functionality, usability, maintainability, flexibility (for future diversification), sustainability and costs.

Easy-peasy Twisted Evil
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To drill more into what Diarmid said

what information do you want to keep / track about (insert equipment)
why...
how much time is needed to gather, update, track and verifiy periodically
who should do that

There are several threads that go into more detail, please check

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
annnie79

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Thanks for your answers Reply with quote

Thanks for your answers, but can you recommend a tool which is not so complex to implement and is fit for change,configuration and release management.
annnie79

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Thanks for your answers Reply with quote

Thanks for your answers, but can you recommend a tool which is not so complex to implement and is fit for change,configuration and release management.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annie,

there are two reasons I cannot recommend a suitable tool.

1. I am not familiar with very many tools.

2. Even if I were familiar with every tool under the sun, I do not know enough about your system to recommend on that would be appropriate for you.

If others choose to make suggestions, bear in mind that their experience (the nature and depth of which you can do little more than guess at) may be in a very different environment from yours.

In fact their perception of "not so complex to implement" and of "fit for change,configuration and release management" may be very different from yours.

I always recommend not even looking at tools until you have a very clear idea of what you want. The additional expense of replacing (or worse, continuing with) an inadequate software procurement and implementation can be considerable. And having to do it can undermine both staff and customer confidence in your drive to improvement.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only tool I recommend is a brain

You have to determine what you want before you decide what tool you want

You should be designing your processes etc before the tool

If you need consultant / contractor to help you accomplish this... Diarmid is available

However, I dont shill for companies

To me, one is as good or bad as the other.

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Configuration Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: