Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: PMaye
New Today: 1
New Yesterday: 85
Overall: 141338

People Online:
Visitors: 77
Members: 2
Total: 79 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - VIP Status
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VIP Status

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dchell

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: VIP Status Reply with quote

I've read several articles on VIP Status, and we are debating about whether VIP Status SHOULD OR COULD be within impact, or urgency or as part of the service level response.

I read the Service Operation book, but didn't find where it would land or that it could be considered.

Your insight would be greatly appreciated.
MBU
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, I hoped I would never get in touch with this topic again in my life (some hard lessons ..)

My2c: Ask your customer (aka the VIP). Let them decide. I've few goood experience with VIP but I tried this approach once and it was their decision. Nevertheless, this is very political; good luck.

"I can't say it'll be better if it changes, but I can say it has to change to be good"
G.C. Lichtenberg (1742 - 1799)
inrepose

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently had to deal with us. The Management team wanted a dedicated VIP Service desk agent, so they would have direct access to a single VIP skilled resource.

HELP!!! I screamed from the top of the 5th floor, that goes against the objective of the entire service model I am building for our IT department!

Anyway with some tactical discussion (with managers that think IT is just fixing things with plugs on), we managed to agree to raise the urgency of VIP calls and provide a higher level SLA which was tricky because they are using items like Blackberry handhelds which we normally don't rush to fix in an hour.

The result - We now Tag calls as VIP in our service desk and assign a higher SLA, despite the incident impacting only 1 person.

However it helped to justify increasing the size of the service team to cover the additional speed of response needed! So cloud - silver etc.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: VIP Status Reply with quote

dchell wrote:
we are debating about whether VIP Status SHOULD OR COULD be within impact, or urgency or as part of the service level response.

The key question for me is; who is debating?

You need to be in discussion with the customer over this, not simply having an internal IT debate.

You need to paint scenarios to the customer that illustrate the risks of committing resources to relatively minor activities if VIP status is just a blanket coverage.

The genuine point about VIP status should be that top management cost a lot and at the level of IT service delivery you cannot confidently identify when some "minor" fix is vital to them. They have to tell you.

Probably the best way is for them to be able to invoke status when something is important to them. If they abuse it then they will be costing the organization, but that is true of everything they have the power to do. so is not IT's problem.

The only way to set up a viable system is to talk to them first.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: