Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: PSchoonov
New Today: 62
New Yesterday: 55
Overall: 139875

People Online:
Visitors: 83
Members: 0
Total: 83

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Service Capacity Mgmt
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Service Capacity Mgmt
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
borf2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for IBM who are a supplier to Astra Zeneca.
SwissTony
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case I'm happy to discuss the topic without any reservation Laughing
Cking

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy / Tony
I just stepped into a position at my current company focusing in on cap planning/management. But being a new position here, I am getting my feet wet by addressing customer SLAs for availability and support.

As Tony said, there are a number of disparate groups doing their own thing in trying to get a grip on capacity mgmt. I plan on tapping each one as I try to consolidate / coordinate the efforts.

One of the first challenges though is to identify an adequate measurement system - both for capacity and availability.

And I agree with the strategy and planning approach rather than reactionary - which is how capacity is addressed now Wink

Darryl
SwissTony
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Darryl Smile

You're right, proactive Capacity Mgmt is the way forward, as reactive capacity mgmt will happen as a matter of course without any process in place.

The key for my point of view one key element is getting valuable, & useful information from the business regarding their strategy and projects. It's ok to budget x% of the infrastructure budget for extra capacity, and this approach is often sufficient, however, it's viewed mainly at the resource level.

True capacity mgmt, again in my view, needs to address the business strategy over the 2-3 future years, look at virtualisation & 'going green.' Going green often gets mgmt backing as it generally also means financial savings.

While the ITIL view of Service Capacity Mgmt is analysing Service Breaches, I believe this should be deepened by investigation the expansion or reduction plans of the services.

Anway...a pint of Guinness is calling....
borf2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darryl,

Good to know someone in the same boat, I'll be starting on Aug 3rd and am very much looking forward to it.

I agree, the measurement system is crucial. This is my first role of this type, do you have any recommendations for basing these measurements on?

Hi Tony,

Do you have recommendations by way of extracting the valuable information from the business?

I bet that pint of Guinness was drunk on a sunny day, today is not that day Very Happy

Andy
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a stint at Cap Mgmt.. which is listed as plain capacity mgmt

I did this in addition to the Change mgmt i was doing normally

the concentration for me during the capmgmt was about the network links between sites - global customers with regional and local circuits

WAN links
MAN links
and
LAN links

then I started to add usage stats for routers, gig switches etc but there was not enough tracked data (data yes, tracked no) to correlate the meaning of some figures

for example: certain high capacity routers/switches work fine in the 90 %s utilization for memory etc against the amount of traffic and low errors

for the technical cap mgmt like getting &% util mem or other the issue was determine the yelp factor

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Cking

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I agree, the measurement system is crucial. This is my first role of this type, do you have any recommendations for basing these measurements on?

We've used SiteScope and SiteSeer for years for monitoring and alerting. Since it was already in-house and capturing data, this is what we're using to put together availability metrics. But now that we're taking a microscope to the data, I see there is alot of noise that brushes dangerously close to our SLAs.

We're a logistics/trucking company, and our customers get information and conduct business through our web applications. So availability is very important to them, and customers are starting to ask about our Uptime/ Availability numbers (not that they're bad - it's just becoming the "industry" thing to do). As I get this firmed up and under control, it will become part of the sales pitch to prospects.

Capacity is a future endeavor.
Cking

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,
I was going to send a msg, but the module is not enabled.
I don't know if posting links is discouraged here ... I don't recall seeing any ...

Some sites I've been browsing are by Performance Dynamics Company, and CMG (Computer Measurement Group).
. . and this one, of course Wink

Good Luck!
Darryl
SwissTony
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, for gaining the information from the business in my current situation is done via the SDLC process with Infrastructure SPOCs ensuring the correct information is included in the documentation for the component requirements. This is supported by quarterly meetings with directors to gain their current & planned situation for strategic projects.

I'm also in the process of creating a report from the SDLC information, which I will christen Forward Schedule of Requirements report (Hmmmmm sounds somewhat familiar! Wink ) which will detail the upcoming projects against a timeline, showing the sign-off dates and planned implementation date on a time graph, with a breakdown of the component requirements for each project underneath. This supports proactive capacity management, but also facilitates the Infra Tech team in planning their hours & activities for implementing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Service Delivery All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: