Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: ManuelKir
New Today: 70
New Yesterday: 92
Overall: 141414

People Online:
Visitors: 59
Members: 3
Total: 62 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Newbie Help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CSH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Newbie Help Reply with quote

Hello,
We are looking to take baby steps onto ITIL implementation. We would like to start with and complete implementation of configuration management this year. However i am very new to this so i had a few questions:

It is said that do not implement a CMDB unless you have ITIL recommended CM processes in place. I am open to implementing new processes in our organization. Is there a link where i can get a list of all CM related processes, roles and some best practices on implementing them.
milligna
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd somewhat agree that a CMDB needs a Change management process in place, but the thing which is MOST important in my mind is the Service Catalogue (for Change Management as well).

If you don't know what the requirements of the Services you manage are, then how can you identify what data is important to manage or not?
milligna
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of a restaurant - consider each meal to be a "service". If you don't have a menu (service catalogue) defined which lists the meals you serve, and if you don't have a recipe (configuration baseline for the service) then how will you know what ingredients (CIs) you need? Once you know the ingredients, then you know how much of each to maintain (capacity), when to thaw out the frozen ingredients (availability - although Gordan Ramsey might disagree). It all starts with the Menu, which is dictated by the chef (Service Delivery manager I guess) according to the business needs the restaurant owner (business customer).
asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

First, I would like to ask if you have attended the ITIL course?
The reason I asked is because of your question
Quote:
It is said that do not implement a CMDB unless you have ITIL recommended CM processes in place.

How can you be sure about this? And what is the reason behind it?
I think you should have been able to answer these question before deciding what to do

Please don't misunderstand. I have plenty of good sources to give you but I need to be sure you can align yourself with them, not just because something was said so.

Anyway, if you insist, try searching Microsoft Operations Framework (MOF), Change Management section.

Cheers,
Asril
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi CSH

welcome to the forum.

In addition to what Asril and milligna have said, bear in mind that most companies actually perform ITIL processes without being aware of it.
Most of ITIL is just common sense.

If you have an asset register you are already part way towards a CMDB.

It does sound as if you have need of an ITIL foundation course at the very least.

I am assuming that there is a level of pain here somewhere, what is prompting you to implement Configuration Management?

If we have an idea of what is driving you we may be able to assist you better.

Ed
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Help Reply with quote

CSH wrote:
It is said that do not implement a CMDB unless you have ITIL recommended CM processes in place.

I would say it is pretty hard to manage anything unless you have strong change management in place. How else can you ensure that attempted changes won't do untold damage?

As far as "ITIL recommended CM processes" go, it could be hard to implement these if you are not already sure of your way forward with ITIL.

I would suggest that you extract the underlying principles of ITIL Change Management and build a change process from this. Your emphasis needs to be on managing not simply recording changes, although if you do not record changes to the CMDB you will be in trouble soon enough.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
thechosenone69
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi CSH,

Well to add to the previous posts. Change Management and Configuration management are best implemented concurrently, as the configuration management facilitates Change Management by identifying areas/items impacted. Not to forget to mention that controlling the IT infrastructure without those 2 processes in place will be very hard.

As Ed mentioned earlier if you have an Asset registrar then your half way there. If not then I would recommend to start from there and then you can progress your way to Configuration Management.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,

A
milligna
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's dangerous to implement both Change and Configuration concurrently if you haven't got a clear idea of your services and the supporting systems in your Service Catalogue - otherwise how do you know what you're managing in your CMDB? Your CMDB should be a representation of your services with a value focus - you should only store data in the CMDB if you can prove the value of keeping it from a value point of view.

I'm struggling to contain a CMDB at the moment - it's been populated with every possible fact and figure about every component of a service. No-one uses the CMDB, because it's easier and more trustworthy for the support teams to just go look at the components directly than to go to the CMDB. I think that when you decide to capture an attribute type, you should also capture who will use it and why. That way everyone knows how the data is going to be used.

Personally, I'm sick of seeing CMDBs that are full of lots of data, but no-one can say what the reason for capturing the data is. I think there's value in taking a knife to the CMDB and leaving just the bare bones as long as it is used appropriately.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Configuration Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: