Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: AO57
New Today: 8
New Yesterday: 53
Overall: 145929

People Online:
Visitors: 58
Members: 3
Total: 61 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Green Service Desk
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Green Service Desk

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jiggy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Green Service Desk Reply with quote

Hi, new to this forum so apologies if I am breaking any etiqutte. My company is building a 'green' service desk. i.e. using highly skilled home based agents (disabled, carers, those on wind down to retirement, who want to work 3 - 4 hours per day). Minimal carbon to offset at low overhead, this adds up to low incident cost, mature service agents and good customer service focus.

Have yet to find anything similar, does anyone else know of a similar Service Desk?

Thanks
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And why would this be considered Green ?

Whether the person goes to the office on a train, bus or other public transport, the energy will be expended any way

The person's if he sits at home will use more electricity and have to be charged by his electricty while he is at home and more resources while working from home instead of an office where the energy consumption has already been factored into the office costs.

A Green anything is specious as far as I am concerned

The plan merely move the expense to the individual than the company

The Carbon dioxide cycle - plants use CO2 to produce O2. we use O2 to produce CO2

Water vapor makes up cloud cover along with minute dust particulars so than rain can be formed. Water vapor has more of an impact

While energy efficient and smart design is good design

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
SwissTony
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you feeding something to the disabled, carers, those on wind down to retirement something to make them turn green? Is that the idea?

Wink Laughing

While involving people who may struggle to get work elsewhere for certain reasons is left-wing mentality, but not green!?

Also, I could be wrong, but I'm guessing the Service Desk is not supporting a large volume of users in a high pressured environment.

I tip my hat to you for your approach, however, this is not green. Minimal carbon offset is something most companies are looking into in the IT world, as it usually also relates to saving money (Google for Greener DataCenter whitepapers).

Welcome to the forum also, it's a valuable resource.
Smile
BorisBear
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKVIKING wrote:
And why would this be considered Green ?

Whether the person goes to the office on a train, bus or other public transport, the energy will be expended any way

The person's if he sits at home will use more electricity and have to be charged by his electricty while he is at home and more resources while working from home instead of an office where the energy consumption has already been factored into the office costs.

A Green anything is specious as far as I am concerned

The plan merely move the expense to the individual than the company

The Carbon dioxide cycle - plants use CO2 to produce O2. we use O2 to produce CO2

Water vapor makes up cloud cover along with minute dust particulars so than rain can be formed. Water vapor has more of an impact

While energy efficient and smart design is good design

UKV - case studies have proven that a Home Agent organisation has a smaller carbon footprint.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes

And the cost of to the Home Based owner who is using more electrical, water, gas etc and havign to pay for it himself. Is that cost include in his pay ?

I find the use of the term 'green' is more related to financial cost / expense vice ecological

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
viv121
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can possibly have green data centres. Not sure if Kyoto protocol says anything about service desks Laughing
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Green Service Desk Reply with quote

Jiggy wrote:
Hi, new to this forum so apologies if I am breaking any etiqutte. My company is building a 'green' service desk. i.e. using highly skilled home based agents (disabled, carers, those on wind down to retirement, who want to work 3 - 4 hours per day). Minimal carbon to offset at low overhead, this adds up to low incident cost, mature service agents and good customer service focus.

Have yet to find anything similar, does anyone else know of a similar Service Desk?

Thanks

I think this is a very intertesting idea, not only as far as carbon footprint is concerned, but also as regards work-life balance, integration of marginalised groups etc. There is a downside as well, of course - isolation, communication difficulties etc. I investigated something similar a long time ago. I would be very interested in how the idea came about, what issues you have faced, and how it is working. Reply off-line to me if you prefer.
BorisBear
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Green Service Desk Reply with quote

LizGallacher wrote:
Jiggy wrote:

Thanks

I think this is a very intertesting idea, not only as far as carbon footprint is concerned, but also as regards work-life balance, integration of marginalised groups etc. There is a downside as well, of course - isolation, communication difficulties etc. I investigated something similar a long time ago. I would be very interested in how the idea came about, what issues you have faced, and how it is working. Reply off-line to me if you prefer.

Look to the Call Centre industry.....the #2 globally are looking to be first to market with home agent offerings, the #1 will be hot on their heels.

The home agent privilege is based on a number of factors - how experienced the agent is, how skilled the role is, what type of technology they require at home, how often they need to come in for training, etc. Its not for everyone but as part of a wider solution that perhaps includes some agents on site then its a viable alternative.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: