Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: VBtr
New Today: 26
New Yesterday: 61
Overall: 139353

People Online:
Visitors: 62
Members: 1
Total: 63 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - CMDB Modeling and Release Management
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CMDB Modeling and Release Management

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toutencarton

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: CMDB Modeling and Release Management Reply with quote

Hello,
I will soon have to follow the release implementation and, as a consequence, keep track of what is installed on the platform. We do not have any good tool to manage the CMDB which is actually a junction of many bad tools.
My concern deals with the subset of the CMDB which will allow me to manage the releases :
- I would like to design a good model (and the subsequent database) that will first help me to manually keep track of the releases installation. If we later buy a product, my data model will become a contribution to the specifications of this products.
- We have some automatic tools that check the actual installed software on the platforms. But I do not know what method to use in order to compare what is installed and what should be installed.

I absolutely do not know what way to follow to set up this release management. Any experience here ?

Regards,
Nicolas
ChasingSleep
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nicolas,

I am working on a release management process implementation, after having documented a configuration management process. So I think we can exchange some interesting experiences on these topics.

First, I will comment some points on your post:

Quote:
I will soon have to follow the release implementation and, as a consequence, keep track of what is installed on the platform

Keeping track of installed software has nothing to do with release management. It is usually an audit procedure from configuration process.

Quote:
We do not have any good tool to manage the CMDB which is actually a junction of many bad tools.

There is no such thing as a good CMDB tool. So don't worry, you are not alone. Wink

Quote:
- I would like to design a good model (and the subsequent database) that will first help me to manually keep track of the releases installation.

What do you mean by a model for keeping track of releases? In order to do it, you just need a release calendar and release records. To start with, all you need is paper...

Quote:
- We have some automatic tools that check the actual installed software on the platforms. But I do not know what method to use in order to compare what is installed and what should be installed.

Again, this has nothing to do with release management. It is up to configuration management (through periodic audits) to check it out. And here is a good example (maybe the only one) of the utility of a discovery tool. Usually, this kind of tool (if integrated with your CMDB) can compare what is installed versus what should be installed, and even open an incident or a change record whenever there is a discrepancy (if integrated with your service desk tool).

But of course, you can always do it manually. Good luck! Wink

Quote:
I absolutely do not know what way to follow to set up this release management. Any experience here?

Our experience here is:

a) Develop requirements for the release process
b) Develop a release policy (most important part!)
c) Develop a high-level scheme for the process
d) Approve it all
e) Document process, procedure, work instructions
f) Approve it all
g) Training
h) Implement
i) Measure
j) Improve

About the tools, usually in the case of release management there is at least a build tool and a distribution tool. But again, that totally depends on your environment.

Hope that helps. I would be interested in keep on exchanging on this topic, as we are in the middle of a release management implementation.

Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Configuration Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: